What To Do?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CASPER72, Sep 5, 2001.

1. CASPER72

CASPER72 Well-Known Member

I got my worthknowing report and was going through it and noticed that there was a new creditor on it. Capital One. I have never had a account with them and then I looked at my other reports and realized that an old debt of mine had been bought or transfered. It was scheduled to drop off in another year but Cap One has the opening date as 4/01/2000. And the account number has been changed. I know for a fact that it is not an account I opened so I am pretty sure they bought this old debt.

The problem is is did not appear on my report till this month and I had been debating weather to open a secured card account with them or not. I know my chances are zero now that they have this debt.

My question is how do I approach this situation and still keep my chances of opening up a card account with them.

Thanks again

Casper72

2. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Get your report from transunion. Worthknowing is not complete (and sometimes accurate) information. At least get the facts as to what you are dealing w/first.

Was this on your report prior and was removed?

3. CASPER72

I am not positive that this was previous

4. CASPER72

Well I dont know for a fact that this was not on there befor and it dropped off but have not disputed anything till this month and that was on experian. So I cant say for sure but I woul

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

The fact that they bought the debt does not re-age the debt. In re-ageing the debt, somebody has broken the law as near as I can tell.

P.S.
    I'm looking for debate (not flames) on this point, so lay it on me if someone thinks I'm wrong.

6. ruphis

ruphis New Member

I had the same thing happen with an old charged off account that was purchased by Cap 1. I sent Cap 1 a letter challenging the entry on my credit report and told them I disputed it and wanted it removed ASAP. I received an offer from them to incorporate the old amount along with an unsecured credit card amount of something like $300.00 (you have to read the fine print as this was a pre-approved offer that looked like most others). Again, I sent a letter demanding removal from my credit report. About 6 months later and three letters to them I received a letter stating they would delete the entry from the credit repositories. It took 3 challenges and another letter from Cap 1 but I finally got this removed from Trans Union. And.....I still get offers from Cap 1 to get their credit card so I doubt that challenging the account that they purchased will hurt you. Good luck, persistence pays off.