What was your FICO when you got...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gemini, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Gemini

Gemini Active Member

your mortgage? I am curious if anybody got a mortgage with negative items on the credit reports and had low FICOs and still got a mortgage without massive amounts of downpayment? It would be nice if you could find a mortgage company to say yes and just charge a higher interest rate and then refinance after a year of on time payments. Anyone know of a mortgage company that works miracles??

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

tis my understanding mortgage companies want all debts on your reports (major derogs) paid in full.

3. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

My original mortgage (2 years ago) was approved with a middle score of 624 - 4 points over their minimum for an A+ paper mortgage. This was after 2+ years of cleaning/repairing a TON of derogs.

I did, however, have to pay off any unpaid derog. The only unpaid one I had on my reports was a 5 year old $408 collection account to the telephone company, which my lender made me pay as a contingency of the approval.

Most any lender will require all upaid debts to be satisfied -- they don't want some old creditor putting a lien on your home or garnish your wages due to an older debt. If they do garnish, and you run out of money, the mortgage company gets screwed when you don't pay your house note.

John Shimmer
    Millennium Credit Building Strategies
    Home of the Ultimate Creditor/CRA List <-- recently revamped!
    www.millcbs.com

4. kustomkat

kustomkat Well-Known Member

I was just reading throught this old thread and this is interesting. I got my mortgage approved (7/05/01) with an unpaid collection on all three of my reports with no reaquest from the lender to pay anything. The Lender is Option One in CA. I got a 8.25% which is really good rate for sub prime I think..
    EX 538
    TU 637
    EQ 610
    The collection was listed on my EX and TU reports...
    I wish I would have checked my credit reports before thought I had a ton of stuff on my reports that wasnt mine including a chase account that had just been closed and was at 90 days late.
    I am currently in the dispute process and I hope that I will be able to refi while the rates are low...

5. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

My scores averaged 550 when I got mine....

1.5 yrs out of BK 7.

Awesome mtg broker.

Could have went 0 down, but put down 8k.

164k house.

Shawn

6. shawnnar

shawnnar Member

My husband and I were below 600 when we applied. We were able to by a house with 10% down 10% interest from a company called finanace america. We were told we could have put less down with an FHA loan however we had a foreclosure that was less than two years on the books. We had many charge offs, 2 repos, a bk and foreclosure. We we can get financing, anyone can.

Good Luck

7. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I think that , with the right mortgage broker on your side, and the right property, ANYONE should be able to get a house. I know that the person ahead of my at my closing was only a few months out of a foreclosure.

If you are interested, I say 'Go for it!'. Don't be too scared about the interest rate, refinancing is not hard at all with a year of good payment history. Plus, the interest is a great write-off.

Home ownership is a great feeling, and really adds stability to your credit. PLUS, with the right property, and a good agent can help you find one, you can combine your debt into your mortgage and get back on your feet.

Good luck!
    Shawn

8. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

How would one go about finding a broker that works with low (mid-500s) FICO score? I have seen ads for brokers that do bad/poor credit loans, but just kinda leary.... any recommendations (for Michigan)?

Deb
    Who just saw a sweet condo for sale across the street from her son's future middle school...

9. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

goto www.motleyfools.com, A broker called david dunhoff always hangs out in the mortgage related forums. He is very nice and has helped a lot of people from that board obtain mortgages.

10. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

THANKS!!

Deb

11. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

we went fha 10% down 7% interest in feb this year
    scores 580's, 632, 675
    had outstanding collections, and a bk

12. Larissa

Larissa Well-Known Member

Re FHA...does anyone know what date the automatic underwriter uses when calculating the time since last derogatory? Our loan officer stated that they want to see 12 months with out a neg...on a judgement do they use the date filed or the date satisfied? He was not sure how the computer would interpret that. I would appreciate it if anyone knows the answer to this.

Thanks
    Larissa

13. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Recently approved for my new home mortgage with a 677 TU and 676 Experian (they only pulled two because my middle score couldn't be any lower than 676). Doing an 80/10/10 with a total purchase price of $261,825. The first (80%) is $209k @ 6.75% and the second (10%) is $26,182 @ prime + 3%.

I had 3 collections (all paid, > 5 years old), one PAID/WAS REPO (6 years 11.5 months old) and one open/unpaid collection (original delinquency date was 4/95, but for some reason the bank's version of the credit report was using the 'last updated' date instead of the ODD date) on my report for $72.

I told them I was disputing the open/unpaid collection account. They did NOT require me to pay it or have it removed in order to get my approval.

Funny note: The damn PAID/WAS REPO was removed from my credit report (it was only on TU) the friggin' DAY AFTER the bank pulled my credit (I talked to TU and they told me so, then I pulled my credit and it was gone due to 7 year age).

Closing on both the sale of my current house and the new house on 10/19/2001. Wish me luck! :)