What's a good 'Mix' of credit?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I'm 2 years post bk7, have 8 active perfect credit cards ranging from 750-5600 limits. No other credit recently except student loans. Why are you guys getting dept store cards? aren't the also "R1"s...
    Do I need an installment account or 2. And does it matter with whom? I hear finance accounts by nature hurt scores. Should I go take a loan on my paid for car... and if so for how long? Don't want a mortgage for 2-3 years from now. What should I get? Planning to combine/close credit cards to 3 good ones in 2 years, by the way. Just trying to get good credit recently.

2. S.D.

S.D. Guest

RE: What's a good 'Mix' of cre

I heard that having one store card helps your score. I'm not sure who said that, but it was on this board. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well it has been said that having one retail card with 4 major credit cards is the best route to take when maintaining a good credit history, not sure how the one retail card helps but every place I have ever read regarding scores has mentioned having one retail card, others I am sure will disagree about the 4 major cards but I think less is better, not sure about installments, I do have one when i financed my furniture.

Mom

4. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I'm kind of curious about the right 'mix' as well. I've heard installments loans are a definite plus. Does it matter if the retail cards or installment loans are closed? I think it might not matter but that's a guess.

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

What dept stores are easier?

and do gas cards affect positively? someone would make a fortune cracking the system and publishing it... hmmmm

6. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: What dept stores are easie

I don't know if Penneys or Sears would fit into your shopping needs but these cards were easy to get for me. Initially, the interests rates are high...and the limits are low...but they're a start. And my understanding is that getting a retail card can help your score.

I've also read here that it's easy to get a Kmart Mastercard.

Good luck.

Donna

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Fair Isaac's FTC presentation clearly shows that having exactly one department store card gives the best results scorewise. While my Macy's tradeline is indeed the "R1" type, it is coded on my report in a way different from credit cards.

As for the number of open revolving credit lines, they suggested that 2 is the best, 3-5 being second best.

Having the right "mixture" of credit types on your report is also important. In fact, my main credit concern right now is to get "I1"-type tradelines. Amex charge cards (not credit cards) are also helpful, since they show a "O1" tradeline. ("O" in "O1" stands for an Open tradeline). No one in Amex was able to tell me how they report their Bank lines of credit. Since the terms are very attractive, it's worth finding out.

Saar

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: What dept stores are easie

Well Target is easy and I think Penney's as well, Lowes is also veyr easy to get.

Mom

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Saar please define dept store

would a lowes/ HD work or does it have to be a macys riches nordstroms type. I would have NO use for one.. so does "having it" make the diff or do I occasinally have to use the thing?

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Authorized user work?

I have a friend who would let me be on her cards... any of them, actually. Would being an authorized user help? (and if she eventually closes the account, would that still work or does it have to be open)

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Saar please define dept st

Retail cards are any cards issued by individual stores such as sears, penny's target, lowes etc these cards are not Visa/MC they are just plain old retail cards and any store will do it doesn't have to be macy's or anything.

12. Saar

Saar Banned

Marie wrote:
    "would a lowes/ HD work"

Your guess is as good as mine. That's why I chose a brand that won't be questioned (Macy's). From my own experience I don't recommend Target.

"so does 'having it' make the diff or do I occasinally have to use the thing?"

Having it would be a positive factor in the "dept store card" category. But why not using it, so that you build this tradeline to also score high in the other categories? (Payment history, stability, credit line limit, etc.)

Saar

13. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

anyone with a bk have a lowe's

I would love a lowe's card. Hate to waste an inquiry though.

Kelly

14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Saar, what FTC presentation are you referring to? Is it the one described here:
    http://www.creditinfocenter.com/FeaturedArticles/creditscoringconference.shtml

They say:
    "Age, something a consumer cannot control, is a key factor in how your credit score is calculated."

From that statement alone I think that FTC presentation was a bunch of smoke and mirrors. I would really like to know why you believe 1 department store is the right number.

15. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Excellent Question

Excellent question. Great post!

16. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Why do you not reccomenf Target??

Saar wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Marie wrote:
    "would a lowes/ HD work"

Your guess is as good as mine. That's why I chose a brand that won't be questioned (Macy's). From my own experience I don't recommend Target.

"so does 'having it' make the diff or do I occasinally have to use the thing?"

Having it would be a positive factor in the "dept store card" category. But why not using it, so that you build this tradeline to also score high in the other categories? (Payment history, stability, credit line limit, etc.)

Saar

17. Saar

Saar Banned

Eric wrote:
    "From that statement alone I think that FTC presentation was a bunch of smoke and mirrors."

On the contrary. While I do not expect them to publish the whole formula, they did provide some invaluable credit scoring information. To see the entire presentation, go to:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/creditscoring/present/sld001.htm

The presentation shows 2 things:

1. The optimal number of open revolving tradelines is 2, and 3-5 being second best.

2. A credit file showing a dept store card yields better results (27 pts.) than one w/o it (16 pts). Don't confuse the points shown here with the 300-900 scale, since the latter presumes standardization and the former is pre-standardized.

The only conclusion reasonably drawn is that while the existence of a dept store card on record is a positive factor, having more than one would decrease score due to an excessive number of open revolving tradelines, in a way that may offset the advantages of maintaining it.

Some may ask why not retaining more dept store cards and less credit cards (while keeping no more than 5 open revolving tradelines)? Technically this would be the same, but in practical terms it may not be as rewarding. First, because credit card diversity (Amex, Visa, Discover) is typically more desired than store card diversity. Second, because the average credit card comes with higher limits than the average store card. I've heard of many $5000+ limit credit cards, but not many store cards offer similar acceptance and credit power.

Saar