What's my score?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by smallbiz, Aug 17, 2001.

1. smallbiz

smallbiz Member

I went to Experian (local office: Credit Data Southwest) and got a copy of my report last month. My score is not on it anywhere. Should it be? If not, how do I find out what my score is?

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Smallbiz,

They're only two ways to get your Experian 1) through Experian's Credit Expert..first 30 days free after that $79.95 yearly fee or 2) applying for credit with a mortgage lender or a car dealership. TransUnion will mail your score and report to you (approx. 7-10 days). Equifax will give you your score and credit report online for $12.95 per transaction at www.scorepower.com.(the score and report is good for 30 days). Hope this helps.

Dani

3. smallbiz

smallbiz Member

So how is it that so many people who post here seem to know their score all the time, even to the point of knowing the details of when their score changes and by how many points? Are they spending all this kind of money to find it out?

I keep seeing posts saying "I did this and my score went up this much" or "I did this and it brought my score down by this much". How do they have all this info? Darnit, I wanna be "in the loop", too!

4. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I believe the majority who know their score day to day are registered with Experian's Credit Expert. Credit expert lets the consumer know when anything on their credit report is added or changes status. They also have the benefit of logging in and knowing their score each day. I believe TransUnion offers Identity Guard? and Equifax's uses Credit Watch, but I believe they are only good for tracking your credit stats and not your score.

5. smallbiz

smallbiz Member

Thanks, Dani. Those services seem awfully expensive just to get information about yourself (it would seem like you'd be entitiled to it, ya know?), but I am glad you gave me the run-down. :)

6. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

smallbiz,
    CreditExpert lets you see your Experian credit report and score anytime you want.

I've seen my Equifax score and profile 7 times in the last two months but I had to pay for ScorePower ($39 for 4 reports) twice. I have one left to view and then I'll have to pay again if I want more. Equifax has another product that gives you 6 credit report profiles but not the score for $38.

IdentityGuard gives you one profile and one score quarterly. You cannot get it when you want it but rather have to wait until the current quarter is up.

7. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mist for correcting me. I wasn't sure if Identity Guard and Credit Watch allowed you to monitor your scores. Now I know. Have a great weekend.

Dani