What's The Difference ? ?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lbrown59, May 9, 2001.

1. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Between a nsf check and a returned check?

2. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Returned check is not specifiying the reason for the return. For instance, "Account closed", "Stop Payment", etc are all reasons a check could be returned in addition to NSF. NSF is clearly for non-sufficient funds (i.e., you did not have enough funds in the account to cover the check).

3. lbrown59

================================
    show can they charge you a fee for an unspecified reason?

4. lbrown59

==============================The only thing not legal is the NSF so it is the only one where there is a law to enforce collection of a fee on!

5. lbrown59

6. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Although stop payment checks may not connote illegal activity i.e. it could be a dispute, acount closed is clearly illegal. Writing a check on an account no longer open is a no no in all states.

7. lbrown59

======== =============== ==
    ============= ============ =====

What about when an account is closed after the check's written?

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

THE BANK WILL QUICKLY TURN YOU OVER TO CHEXSYSTEM!

9. lbrown59

For what?

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I assumed you knew about this process I was speaking of. If you have an account and a check comes through and the bank pays it, (this is typically for delayed billing items) and then your account is overdrawn. If you dont 0 the balance with the bank.............chexsystem.

If that is not your situation, I apologize. I had this happen to me when i ordered clothes from chadwicks of boston and like 4 months later the delayed billing hit my bank. I had already graduated college and moved. I had forgotten about it BIGTIME. I owed the bank the money b/c they paid for the charges. I guess they had to b/c i had the clothes already.

11. lbrown59

=========================
    ===============================
    I'm sorry too -I don't think I gave you enough Info.

Here's the set up

The bank decided to close my checking account for what ever reason:

They sent me a check for the balance shown on ther records.

Only trouble is there were several out standing checks not accounted for in their balance.

Needless to say the S--- H-- the F-- when these checks were presented for payment:

My bank hit me the returned check fees on each check and the receiver of each check did the same:

Hopes this helps,
    LBrown59

Ps ,
    My brothers name is Ronald-but we always called him Ronnie> Must Be A Good name !

12. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Wow.

I had Fleet/Nationsbank and they closed my account when i was a broke a--
    student. I had been overdrawn like $6 for 30 days and they wouldnot let me deposit $8,000 when my school check came. I was floored. They just closed the account and didnot want my business. I have not dealt with them since.

I would say that they cant do what they did. But you would have the task of proving that the checks were written after the account was closed. And then someone may stil try to blame you.

All I can say is what a mess.