What's up with student credit?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shania, Apr 13, 2000.

1. Shania

Shania Guest

I am just wondering, but why would card companies give a credit card to a student(college mostly). I know some work, but there are some that get cards and don't have a job. Don't they know that the students probably don't have the money to pay it back.

2. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

RE: What's up with student cre

Here's the reasoning of the CC companies. If you open an account for a student, you build customer loyalty. While a student may not have a large income now, it is likely that after graduation there will be a significant growth in income. Also, there is the expectation that if a student gets in trouble with credit, mom or dad might bail him or her out.

From what I have seen the industry has changed a lot since I got my first student credit card. It was in 1987 and the credit limit was $500. In order to get a card, you had to be at least a junior in college. I teach at a university and I see freshman getting cards for $4000-$5000. I don't think student credit cards are necessarily a bad thing. I do think that they all should have low limits.

3. Shania

Shania Guest

Hey thanks for responding! :)

4. BOB

BOB Guest

Shania and curiouser, We recently got an offer from one of our banks to help start
    our daughter off with her first credit card.
    She's still in High School & 17 years old.
    Of course we had to sign for it as a backer.
    What was good about this was we get to set the limit for her. She works and will be 18
    in Oct. The limits we could use were $300
    to $1500. Just thought you would like to know that some high school student get offers, but the parents have to sign. They
    say this is to help them learn how to handle
    a card, while still at home where they can get help and advice. Remember the card has their name on it but the parents are responsible. Heck when I was in High School
    all they had was gas cards, I never figured
    out why someone would want a gas card for a
    DINOSAUR.

5. Shania

Shania Guest

LOL! Oh come now Bob, you can't be that ancient. HEHEHE!!

6. BOB

BOB Guest

Shania my dear, Have you seen the Jurassic
    Park movies. I wrote those from personal
    experiences. I'm the original Fred Flintstone
    or so my daughters tell me.

7. Shania

Shania Guest

LOL!! Oh good gravy. :)

8. Down Low N

Down Low N Guest

well this world @!#$ up !!! you work but don't get a credit card but student don't work they get it ..The credit card compaany is @!#$ up taht all I can tell you shania babe..((^_*))

9. Shania

Shania Guest

To Down Low Nsx

Hey, I agree with you. But what can you do?