When a landlord lies??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Aug 29, 2001.

1. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE 30 DAYS CAME AND WENT...

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SEND THE 7 DAY NOTICE...

You can copy and paste from the law...

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Becky, that sounds so familiar. We put up doors that were missing, had huge electrical problems (illegal construction in basement left only one thing able to be plugged in or all lights went out..has to be building code violations)..tiles peeled up so we replaced on floor, ceilings leaked...hubby fixed..they charged us for cleaning windows and windowsills (they have to repaint, it was 3 years but we cleaned them anyway)...daughter and I scrubbed those windows the last day..she wasn't happy with me for making her so that really stands out as a huge lie to us..and the windowsills have to be repainted anyway..but we did them..UGH
    I have to calm down...this is just so wrong..will be interesting to see if George sees screens on the windows..(Hey, George..the upstairs front window never had a screen..had a cracked window, too...interesting to see what you see there!)

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Nevermind.....the 30 days has passed like GEORGE said. My mistake.

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I'll have to find it again, may be a while, my 'puter says it can't find their server. I'll keep looking, though.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Hey, just curious...can he refuse to send us a copy of our lease and walk-through? Anybody know?

And, get this sentence in the payment request "Please remit amounts due within 30 days or further legal action will be taken."

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

See above

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thanks, George!

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

My pop's lived on E. Asbury Ave. and the Park was Tierra. Is or was that around anyone?

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

If you "CAVE", he made a bunch of extra money with-out any WORK...

He knows you moved to EL PASTO...

And you wouldn't waste any time mailing him a check to get rid of him...

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

How did breeze put the pictures on here at the beach...

I have a DIGITAL camera...(don't know how to use it yet)...

Or would I have to e-mail them to you?

12. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

No, don't worry, I definitely won't cave..this is truly theft!! I just typed a letter for request of our lease...
    that will go out certified mail/rr tomorrow.

Oooh, I don't think anyone answered..I have to sue him in Co, right?

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Speaking about EL PASTO...hows ITALIAN year coming?

Or are they going to fix it before the year end?

ITALIAN food every night and a cement pond...

:)

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

CO I don't know...

COULD WE DO IT IN FORT COLLINS???

15. bbauer

bbauer Banned

All I can say is to get pictures of everything you can.

Although a good one is a bit expensive, digitals are the way to go because you can just print out the pictures on plain paper or photographic paper, either one.

Mine uses a printer that has a slot on the side so I can just print right from the "film" and it and all the software is pretty neat.

16. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I think I made a booboo...I think I misunderstood what the site said. BUT I found it and am going to post it here!

Your lease may state that you are responsible for charges above normal wear and tear. How you define it and how your landlord or property manager defines it leads to disputes with your security deposit when you vacate the unit.

It is important to perform a move-in walk through with the landlord and note anything that looks worn, damaged, dirty or otherwise questionable. You can use one of our move-in checklists or make one yourself. Whatever you do, be sure to have the landlord sign this. Some states REQUIRE this to be done within a set period of time (5 days).

Before you vacate the unit, you must do a walk through again, with the checklist from when you moved in, with the landlord and come to an agreement as to if there any damages and give YOU the opportunity to repair.

When you move in and out, take pictures - use a disposable camera if you have to. Sign and date the pictures

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I read alot of stuff on that site and I think it all mushed together. Especially after my concussion.

17. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Nana I went through the same scenario a few years ago. I waited at appointed times for 3 different walk throughs and no one showed.

I actually had a professional cleaning service come and clean my apartment, and there was NO damage other than normal wear and tear.

The management company sent me a letter demanding $300.00 as the balance due after cleaning, repairs etc and itemized repairs for several items that I know were not damaged.

I filed in small claims court, demanding the return of my security deposit; stated that the cost of repairs for the alleged damages were inflated and that the damages were indeed normal wear and tear. I provided copies of the receipt from the cleaning service. When the apartment manager appeared for the hearing, she was properly chastised by the judge and he stated by not showing for the walk throughs, even if the alleged damages existed, they had waived their right to collect. I got my deposit back with interest. (Some states actually require the security deposit be placed in an interest bearing account).

I hope you sue the pants off of them and win.

18. toromio

toromio Well-Known Member

Please Please Please do your research! I had to sue a landlord aka a scum lord! For some reason these people think that they can get away with murder, either because you are new to the area or have bad/insufficient credit. I HATE THEM!!! (yes I am screaming). Do a search for landlord/ tenant law on the net. There are quite a few sites that are really great. Make notes on what you remember, and if at all possible find receipts for the items you paid to fix, upgrade, or modify. Even old c. card statements would work. Do not give up. Look and see if the law in CO requires that the landlord have a contract with the realtor board. In some states the landlord only need apply if they own over a certain amount of properties/ units. If they are registered with any type of governing board, fila a complaint immediately. Check to see if he/ she has a business license. If so file a complaint against him with that bureau if possible.
    I hate to say this but the laws are really stacked against the leassee in most states. They are the ones that contribute to the political machine! However, call an attorney and find out where you can file, and which court house has the best record in favor of the leassee.
    Best of Luck to you! Stick with it, and you could very easily win this battle!

19. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Point to Consider:

Landlords wear white hats
    Tenants wear black hats.

Sometimes they both trade hats!

20. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

==========================
    Welcome to OHIO where It's just the Opposite !