When a landlord lies??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Aug 29, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

George, those pix were uploaded to a website. However, yahoo has a "picture gallery" and anyone with a yahoo account can put pictures up there, in order to share them. Or, if you want them on a webpage, I, and I'm sure many others, can do that for you in just a few minutes. Just say the word. :)

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re using the digital camera, George, did it come with directions??

If you know how to use a brownie you can use a digital, hehe. Just one thingy, be sure the camera is turned off before you plug it in!! Turn it on afterwards. I didn't know that and it messed up my LCD display. All the little crystals got mixed up and don't know where to go. :(

You have to install their software. Then you have a connection cable that goes from the camera to the puter. You hook it up and then you do everything from the software.

3. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Photoshop 6 is one of the best software packages for handling or doing whatever to either scanner images or digital camera pictures.

Anybody wants a copy, just go to Yahoo.com and in the little search box enter in the single word
    programz
    and click on the first link you see.
    Lots of neat programs on that website.

4. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

NanaC,

If it comes down to court: would your neighbors be willing to give you a sworn statement property condition? Basically, this is just a written, notarized account of their observations of the property condition. All they need to do is write it, get it notarized, and it acts as testimony during the hearing. I used this before when a friend couldn't testify in person on my behalf. The judge kept referring to my friend's sworn statement as if the person were there, and I won my case because of it.

BTW, I was suing a client who refused to pay me in small claims court.

5. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Florida had a similar thirty day provision in their tenant/landlord law where the landlord must give notice to you of their intention to keep any part of your deposit within 30 days of you vacating the apartment. When I was in school many years ago, I managed an apartment complex in Tallahassee. The Judges treated this as an absolute bar to any recovery by the landlord. If they did not strictly comply with the thirty day rule, they lost. A good faith effort to comply was not good enough. So, this is something to consider if you end up in court.

We were very lenient with tenants. Very seldom did we ever keep any money. Of course, we always did a walk through when they moved in and when they moved out. Everything was in writing with a copy to the tenant.

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Not to disagree with you bill, hehe but....

Photoshop is good, but if you download the trial and then decide not to buy it, you will discover that it has stuck itself to all your graphics files, and it is hard to get it off. It will stay stuck to your files even after you uninstall the trial version, and it prevents any other graphics software from finding the graphics files. Neat little trick.

Also, you must install the software that comes with the camera because you have to have the correct driver for that camera. Do not install the driver by itself, it will give you another whole batch of problems (been there done that-still have problems with my scanner because of doing that).

I use PhotoImpact. It is wonderful, even better than PSP IMHO. But you do not have to have any of these to use the camera and send people pictures.

8. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

Three years ago when we moved from our rental we did a walkthrough with the landlord and his wife.

There was a car bumper corner "ding" in the carport wall which was there when we moved in. We had our washer and dryer stored in front of it for the two years we were there.

Anyway, as we walked up to the house the landlord spotted the dent in the stucco wall. He got ready to write it down and said "Oh, that ding will cost at least $50 to fix and paint."

His wife turned to him and us and said, "Now you KNOW that was there already!"

She actually busted him out right there! He got the funniest little grin on his face and we did the rest of the inspection. While renting I totally rebuilt his dryer and I installed new stove elements, no charge. The place was spotless.

He charged us for the little spring loaded toilet paper holder and a sink stopper.

My advice: Do a thorough walkthrough and note EVERYTHING. Every scratch, ding, chip, dirt, stain, crack. Get down on your hands and knees. Smell things. Don't be timid. Take all day. Get a copy immediately. If you have a camcorder, use it. When moving out, have your copy in hand and document everything said and done. Make the landlord commit to a decision right then, document it, have him/her sign it.

SK

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Breeze:

You obviously have not tried the copy listed on the board I made reference to.
    That ole boy don't put up any demo's or trial versions unless he tells you right up front that they are demo's or trial versions. If any serial or registration numbers are needed, he includes those with his programs.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

You're right, I didn't.

11. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Breeze:
    That old boy is a lot like me.

When he hacks 'em and cracks 'em he don't fool around. He just ups and does it to 'em

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

So you get the software and a registration number for free?

13. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Breeze:

Yes, you do. He does have a few on there that you have to pay for and he says so right on the board. Most of them that you would have to pay for he just puts up as "visit the webpage of ?????" and a link. Other than that, it's all for free.

I've only had a couple of his programs that I could not make work for whatever reason. All the rest have worked wonderfully.

None of his stuff is crippleware or begware. You never see a nag screen.