When Creditor Closes Account

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Tuit, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

can they hold you to, and add new admendments to it? Just received a notice of an amendment to an account that has been closed since 1999 and if I do not sign and completely fill out the enclosed rejection form by 1/31/02 then it will become part of the agreement. This is for "Arbitration Clause"
    Tuit

2. EddKey

EddKey Member

Have you been making payments to this account?

3. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

No it is a unpaid charged-off account.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Well can they?????

5. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

I feel they closed the account and there has been no activity on the account since 1999 so any agreement I may have signed with them for this account could not be changed from that time. The problem I am having is that they indicate that if I do not fill out the rejection form and send it exactly as they have instructed the admendment will take effect and I will be subject to "Arbitration". I do not want to give them my personal information as required on the form.

Again my question is: If I do not provide the information they have demanded can they add this amendment to an old closed account?
    Tuit

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

My understanding of most Credit Card Agreements is that the agreement itself remains in full force and effect until such time as the debt is paid in full. Did the arbitration provision indicate you could opt out of the amendment? If so you should do so quickly.

Most credit card agreements also contain a disclaimer that the terms of the agreement may be changed at any time with sufficient notice to the cardholder.

As for the account being closed - they closed it for further activity.

7. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Hal. I will try to devise a way to send my rejection of the new amendment without giving them the information they demand to make the rejection valid.

That is my point they stopped any activity on the account and therefore I will challenge their ability to reactivate it for their sole purpose and gain as they see fit.

Again thanks so much for answering my question.

Tuit