Where to get first credit card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Carrie, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

I received a "pre-approved offer" in the mail for an unsecured providian card. I don't have any credit. Whats a good place to try (and get!) a credit card with a low limit and ridiculous interest rate (~22% i figure) for a first timer? I know places like nextcard will deny me so i want to make an educated try so i get one and begin my credit. Never had any negative credit. just have an x.com and credit union checking account. Don't really want a secured card unless its like $49 for $500 limit.

carrie -

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

RE: Where to get first credit

Try Capital One. They have a secured card that's pretty good. www.capitalone.com

3. BOB

BOB Guest

Carrie, If you don't want a secured card,
    you might try Providian, granted there rate is a little high but they increase your limit
    fairly quickly. You could use them to establish some credit, and then transfer to
    a card with a lower rate. Also recently
    Providian has been lowering rates to good customers. Down to around 16%. What ever you
    do, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, get a card from
    CROSS COUNTRY BANK, or as most people refer to CROOKS COUNTRY BANK. They are a bunch of thieves that will destroy your credit for years. And since your just starting out you
    don't need that kind of trouble. Erica suggested cap-One, they also a good source,
    they don't up you limit as fast as others but their customer service is good to work with. Good Luck to you. Always be leary of
    the offers that sound to good to be true,
    they usually are.

4. Shania

Shania Guest

Or you might try getting a store card like Target. Now my very first credit card was a military card but Target is pretty good at giving a card to first timers. I know you probably want something like a Visa or Mastercard, but if you try Target and get one, you can use it a little pay it off all at once after a few months you'll have established some form of credit history and might be able to get a "real" credit card. Might work you never know.