Where would you send No PP?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jlynn, Sep 18, 2003.

1. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Have a loan with Beneficial Texas, Inc. - a Household Company.

Household Finance Corp. is pulling AR's on EQ. (This is a closed end loan).

Who would you send no pp letter? In my loan papers everything lists Beneficial, TX except their Privacy Statement which says:

"Household Finance Corporation/Beneficial Corporation (including subsidiaries), and Household Bank f.s.b"

BTW - I keep getting emails offering me up to $35K more :) I saved them LOL.

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Apparently, Beneficial Texas is a subsidiary of Household Finance/Beneficial. They probably had to list the federal savings bank separately for regulatory reasons.

3. lestx

lestx Well-Known Member

Jlynn, I sent No pp to address listed in CW for OC in account information.

Worked for me, it probobaly is listed in your report as Household. I had an account with Benificial and it is listed as Houshold now.

4. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

The Agent of Service is the same for both - so no worries :)

5. lestx

lestx Well-Known Member

Just curious, but if this was your first letter to them why would you send it to their agent?

6. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

In the past I tried sending letters to a company. It

1. Got me ignored, or
    2. Generated a stupid response

I go straight thru the Agent of Service to send the message that I am serious, and it then generally gets to the legal department rather than some CSR's desk :)

I have had excellent results with this technique.

7. lestx

lestx Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Where would you send No PP?

Good strategy. I like it, definitely cuts thru a bunch of bs. I have reserved contact with agents to process service, but no more.

Thanks.

8. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Where would you send No PP?

Saves in the CMRRR costs too :) LOL

9. lestx

lestx Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where would you send No PP?

Yes, you have a thrifty streak in you while extracting the 1k, makes it all the more relishing!

10. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where would you send No PP?

A little bit off topic, but . . .

The California Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies Act states in Section 1785.31(a)(3):

"In the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer credit report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, an award of actual damages pursuant to paragraph (1)or subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) shall be in an amount of not less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500).

(I believe the FCRA is similarly worded.)

Question:

The statute specifically refers to the "liability
    of a natural person." Does this exclude a corporation
    from the above mentioned damages? If so, what is the remedy when a corporation pulls a credit report
    without permissible purpose?

For those who have sued for non-permissible purpose, who do you serve? Is the agent for the corporation sufficient?

11. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where would you send No PP?

You pull out the handy-dandy Greenblatt letter from here: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/greenblt.htm

"Any person who procures a consumer report under false pretenses, or knowingly without a permissible purpose, is liable for $1000 or actual damages (whichever is greater) to both the consumer and to the consumer reporting agency from which the report is procured."

yep

Did you know that in the FCRA under definitions it defines a person, but not a natural person?

Also, it is only used one other time in the statute?

12. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I'm suing for $30,000, so I want to be sure I do this exactly right.

13. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

LOL - My kids called me cheap once, as I was buying Halloween candy in November at 90% off. I said no, I'm frugal.

If I put that candy in your Christmas stocking - I would be cheap :)