Which card to start?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jean, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Jean

Jean Guest

Which card is a good card to start with no credit? I would like an unsecured. Anyone start with unsecured?

2. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Tough to start with unsecured... maybe a gas card would work...

However, I would suggest to start with Capital One secured. Then the next ones should be unsecured...

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Here's a story

Ditto on capitalone secured. If you don't want to spend $99 towards a strong and healthy credit file, you seriously need to think about what you are doing.

Here's what i told my gf to do and she did:

Month 00 - Capitalone $99 - received card,
    used.
    Month 01 - received macys $200 limit
    month 05 - received car loan (new), instant
    approved on CITIBANK
    received Citibank, requested CREDIT RAISE on MACY's , received $300 increase on macy's

Short-sweet and concise.

$99 investment, nearly 6 months later
    she has $500 cap 1, $500 macy's, $1000 citibank, and a new car.

It wasn't that easy when i first started out, I TELL YOU!!

Btw, the following information above assumes a 100% clean credit file, and there were about 10 inquiries at least during last 12 months.

4. Michael

Michael Guest

Personally i have found Capital One "Choosy" over it's approval for people with no credit.

If Cap 1 doesn't approve you, open an account with First Consumers you do get a bonus on top of your deposit with them, and they are great about increases.

5. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I applied for NextCard and Aria w/ no credit and was instantly approved online.

Of course, there are other factors to consider, such as income stream and stability (length of time at residence/job) that may play a big role in approval with no credit history.

BTW, my starting lines were $500 for Aria and $700 for NextCard.

Income was 30,500, with 6 yrs at job and 11 yrs. at residence.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

wow! Thats good news!

7. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

MAcy's A good Start UNsecured

I started out at macy's with an unsecured card . I had no credit at the time . They will give you a 100 credit limit . but in terms of reporting they are great . all three CRA's and thier min payment is 5 :) so u can't get into anytrouble with that . Providian will follow after 3-4 months and so will DMB . just keep the inquires low . I had a ton when i got my macy's 3 years ago . Give it a shot . If that dosn't work probably secured cards are your best bet.
    good luck ..

8. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

RE: MAcy's A good Start UNsecu

My wife -- who had no credit history -- started with a Macy's card that she was able to get because she had a Visa check card. In about three months, she received an unsecured LLBean/MBNA Visa, a Victoria's Secret card and a Nordstrom card. None with huge credit limits, but she's building.

9. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Kids,credit cards & foreig

My son will be going to France with a school group & they suggested a credit card for him to use while overseas. Do you have any suggestions where to start with this?