Which cards...?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Bill, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Bill

Bill Guest

Been looking around for sub-prime cards to rebuild my credit history and so far I have been given these options: Bank One:200.00 deposit FCNB:100.00 deposit Amex(optima secure):200.00 dep Sterling:200.00 deposit Chase:300.00 deposit Wells-Fargo:300.00 deposit Future Card:250.00 deposit Chevron(credit builder):200.00 1st Premier:see sudject below I want to get at least two of the above and the Chevron,but need to know which are the better including generous increases and customer service. I don't want to make a mistake and end-up kicking myself in the azz. I am taking this decision serious because this will depend on my future livlihood. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Amex Optima should definately be out as they don't even report your history to the credit bureaus. I believe Wells Fargo reports the card as "secured" which should be avoided if possible. The Future & Premier cards have a lot of fees attached, but I have heard that their customer service is good. I'm not sure about Bank One. I think your best choices would be FCNB & Chase. I think they both have superior service & I know FCNB is fairly good with their increases. Many people have posted that after approx. 1 year (depending on payment history inside & out) they will likely unsecure your card & send your deposit back to you. I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

3. Michael

Michael Guest

I Agree with that recomendation. FCNB should be one of the 2 cards you take, and Chase would be my next selection.

I don't know about Wells Fargo, but I wouldn't be worried over the "Secured" report. Let's face it many loans are secured, and FICO won't score you less for it.

If you live near a Wells Branch and feel it would benefit with your relationship (same goes for Chase) then get that card!

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Capital one $49 or $99 for $500 limit is the best bang for buck. They gave me a $500 limit, raised to $600 2nd month, not fast on credit increases but honest, helpful 24 hour support, online-support (ie secure messenging for credit increases problems etc), online statement and bill paying!

After having that for 6 months, Aria approved me. My cred sucks more than yours.

5. bg

bg Guest

I agree with the others, I would like to add
    something to the facts about 1st Premier and
    their fees. They charge a $50.00 annual fee
    plus a $6.00 monthly fee, so basically it costs you $122.00 a year to do business with them, and they are really tight with limit increases. So I would suggest one of the others or maybe a Providian Classic which is unsecured. I got approved for one with
    some really bad credit from medical bills.
    I had several civil suits on my report (paid)
    and several collections. I mean not the ARIA
    card but the Classic card (blue card). Just
    a thought you might want to check out.
    bg