Which score is right? (Experian)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Scoreless, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Scoreless

Scoreless New Member

I used credit manager and it gave me a score in the high 500's but their credit simulator is showing an indicator in the low 600's. Is that an error; are they having troubles with their site? I am confused!!

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

No mine does the exact same thing. 717 on the main page and like 730+ in the simulator. I imagine the score is "correct" (although I am still not sure there is a concensus as to whether it is a FICO score or an approximation) and the simulator with the bar is probably an "approximation" of the score under the parameters of the items you can change...although it perplexes me as to why they are not the same.

-Dave

3. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Dave,
    I'm convinced it's not FICO. They don't say it is, which I'm sure they would advertise if it was. Plus, when you click on the hotlink for Experian Credit Score, they explain it as one of their scoring methods. Oh yea, and like eloan's creditXpert score, it's used by many financial institutions. I wonder which one, singular :)

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with you Pat, I think it is an approximate scoring algorithm...they are keeping all proprietary information proprietary as long as they possibly can. Even if it's your information they are using in their scoring. I'll bet we consumers never get to see the exact scoring system they use to evaluate us.

-Dave

5. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Hi Folks....

I contacted CreditExpert and asked if their score was Experian's real FICO score. It is not. They told me it is taken from your Experian CR but it's not the actual Experian FICO.

Tom