Who can report to CRA?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marvin, Mar 10, 2001.

  1. marvin

    marvin Well-Known Member

    My understanding is that only the owner of a debt can report it to the CRA, and not collection agency's that are just collecting the debt for the original creditor. Is this correct? I have one collection, and one judgement left on my Trans Union report, and that collection is from a bounced check that I repaid. I tried several times to repay at the gas station after it bounced, but the manager had to be there before I could pay it, and he was never there. A couple weeks later, they sent it to an agency that collects for bounced checks, and I really doubt that they actually bought the debt. They are now reporting to TU, and have verified it twice. I really don't think they even have the right to report it, since they never owned the debt.
  2. judyputy

    judyputy Well-Known Member

    Are you sure? They may have bought the debt. If they did, then they have the right to report it. I think they probably did since you have had such a hard time getting them to accept payment at the original creditor.

    I confused though. You said the collection was paid? Is that the one you said the gas station wouldn't accept? Did you actually pay them? If not then the collection agency probably bought it and now wants to be paid.
  3. roni

    roni Well-Known Member

    It is my understanding that the collection agency can report the debt in the name of the original creditor. Both can not be on the report separately as negative items. In other words, the collection agency will report the item and somewhere on the entire it may or may not have the original creditor and account number mentioned.

  4. marvin

    marvin Well-Known Member

    It was paid, but not till after it was sent to the collection agency. It wasn't that thegas station wouldn't accept the money, it was just that the manager was never there, and he was the one that I had to give the money too.

Share This Page