Who here is Dealing w/ Gulf State?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MartysGirl, Oct 15, 2001.

1. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Have any of you got lawsuits against Gulf state or w/ the CRA?

I am going to do something soon but can't make up my mind. Should I go after Gulf State, (in small claims) CRA's, or BOTH?

****Plus the Company Gulf State works for .... Thanks Breeze ;-)

Gulf State has called me three time since my Cease and Desist letter (at work). I have names, times, dates, and all copies of my letters to them.

They have never verified anything they say I owe. I have sent a validation and an estoppel letter. They have yet to write me back. AND they verify the account w/ the CRA's when I challenge it..!!!!

I just wanted to see if anyone has sued them or had any success...???

What else should I do (write AG etc..)... or ... do I need to know before jumping into this lawsuit?????

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

****Plus the Company Gulf State works for .... Thanks Breeze ;-)

Yes, but Breeze's post didn't tell us where that was at in the law that allows that to happen.
    Still more research to be done on that one.

3. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

I filed a lawsuit against Gulf State for placing two identical accounts on my credit report that have already been proven to be inaccurate. They are also reporting them as 120 days late even though there is a zero balance.

4. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

The cra's are supposed to have a mechanism in place to prevent deleted accounts from reappearing. I can tell you that Experian does not as this has now happened 3 times with them and none with the other 2. That is part of my lawsuit. And I am going to file a lawsuit against gulf state fairly soon. They have also ignored everything i have sent them and are in numerous violations of the FDCPA.

5. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I am with you LKH. When I received notification from Gulf State Credit in November of last year, I immediately disputed the Sprint account with them. Then in the same month they sold it to another collection agency. They don't own the debt, as they sold it to another agency. Can someone shed a little light on this for me? Can 2 collection agencies report the same debt? If so, Gulf State should have removed their notation when I disputed the debt. The agency they sold it to couldn't validate the debt and removed their notation. I have a letter from them stating they couldn't validate the debt and removed it.

I disputed the account with them when they sent a bill. They never responded. I have the return receipt dated 12-28-00. They signed for it exactly 30 days after I received a bill requesting payment. I sent another in the spring. Again they didn't respond, and to add insult to injury they verified the account as accurate when I disputed it with Experian.

The second collection agency placed the Sprint bill on all three bureaus. I was pissed. I filed a complaint with the FTC, the PA attorney general. Within 10 days of receiving my complaint, I received a letter from the AG stating the situation was resolved and a letter from the collection agency stating they were removing their tradeline because they couldn't verify it. They are the legal owner not Gulf State.

Now I have Gulf State reporting to Experian only. It is notated 180 days past due. This was for a sprint bill. My complaint was and is I have never had sprint as a long distance carrier, I have worked for the largest long distance company in the world at the time Sprint claims to have had service with them. My long distance (at the time) was free.The worst part is they never responded to my requests for validataion, and they verified the account as accurate with Experian. Not one time did they notate on my report that the account was in dispute. Right now, I have them, and I know I do.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me:

1. Gulf state purchased this debt and sold it the same month, so can they report the account? Once they sold it shouldn't they remove their notation?

2. Gulf state never responded to my requests for validation. I sent 2 letters, one I received when they notified me I owed them money. I have the return receipt signed and dated, the second around the first week of March. After no response from both requests for validation, I disputed the tradeline with Experian who claimed to have verified the tradeline. Doesn't this constitued 3 violations of the FCRA?

3. Does Experian have liability in this? They claimed to have verified this tradeline as accurate.

4. When you dispute with a collection agency isn't it their responsibility to place the notation on your credit report, "Consumer requests an invesitgation"? The reason I ask is because when I sent the second collection agency a validation letter, they placed the notation on my credit report that the account was in dispute.

Any and all help is appreciated.

6. CYA

CYA Well-Known Member

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I say you got them real good.
    Collecting on a debt that you never owed in the first place?
    selling a debt you never owed in the first place to an innocent 3rd or 4th party?

Sounds like you ought to talk to David Szwak or some attorney like that. One who is heavy into these kinds of problems.

8. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Gulf State are a bunch of A$$ Holes...!!! They really get on my last nerve...!!!! Well... since I feel better... I plan on making there life a living hell... !! I don't have anything better to do..!!

Bill.. Who is David Szwak? AS you can tell....I not on the board as much since I got pregnant..!! I feel like I am not in the loop anymore.. so can you guys give me the update??