Why am I getting denied??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jfpruitt, Aug 27, 2001.

1. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

I have been obsessed with my scores and credit since I found this board. I have went from a low 600 to a mid 700 in the past 3 months. According to Creditexpert my score is 715 and Eloan says its 773. So I'm at least in the low 700's...Privista says I'm an excellent to with an 85 /100. Well, I applied for a Citi, AMEX Blue, and a Fleet and got denied on all 3. WHY!!! I have no bad marks on my report whatsoever, and I have just paid off all my debt. So, what gives. I called Citi today and they said I have 27 active, open accounts. This is not true. I have closed all but 5 of them. The five I do have open is 2 dept stores and 3 Visa/MC accounts. So, why the heck am I still getting denied these prime cards???????? HELP!!!

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

go pull all 3 reports and look at the one citibank looked at. If they saw 27 active accounts, then im afraid you have 27 active accounts on your report.

Thats a whole lot of credit cards!!!!!

3. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

But I don't, I've cancelled all but 5.....does active and open mean the same thing?? if they are closed they shouldnt be counted against me. I may have 27 OLD accounts, but I should only have 5 open ones now...UGHHH

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Go pull your report and tell us what you see..

You know credit bureaus aren't accurate and as 60-90 lagged sometimes..

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOUR F.I.C.O. IS TOO HIGH...
    I have come to the conclusion when you get above some imaginary number...say 650-675...THEY JUST DENY YOU THE CREDIT CARD...FOR NO REASON...AND HOPE YOU DON'T COMPLAIN OR TELL OTHER PEOPLE!!!

6. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

Either that or the CRA's have not yet updated your CR. Go pull new reports.

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

JF, alot of the time, the csr tells you they will close the account, but they don't. Have you looked to see if the accounts are actually showing closed by consumer on the report they are pulling? IF they show you that they are closed, but you get declined because Citi says they're open, get it in writing from Citi, then take it up with CRA. Something's amiss!

8. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I had been denied alsoo because of too many open accounts. I called the cc company and asked that a 'human' look at my report (cost me an extra inquiry but worth it). We went over it together and she told me each one that showed closed and each one that showed open. She saw right away that most of them were closed and said that the automated system was mistaken. The software system calculated based on closed accounts showing as open. She apologized and issued me the card. I have a feeling that some companies are using the same flawed software. Who was it, or was it all three, that denied you because of too many open accounts?

Mist