Why do Citi cards all have 20+ apr?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by leo728, Aug 24, 2001.

1. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Hi, I just got approved for a World mastercard from citibank. I want to apply for another card and merge the 2 of them , but I noticed that all cards have at least a 20+apr after the initial promotional rate.

Can someone tell me what I should apply for?

Thanks.

Btw, I applied online and I got the please wait for letter in the mail response. I totally gave up on the card.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

hmm you get a rate based on your creditworthiness. That is the worst case rate rate. My platinum select card is prime+0.9% (permanent) with 2.9% BT for 6 months..

affinity cards are higher interest, of course, and some carry annual fees. not worth it if you plan to carry balances.

3. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I was looking over the fine print on the citibank website.

they all list prime + 12. something apr.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I applied for a Citi Platinum Select about three months ago and got 0.9% on BT until 01/02 and then then the APR after that is 14.99%. It all depends on creditworthiness, as stated previously, and also sometimes how hard they are trying to push a new affinity card.

---> Zaphod

5. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply,

I think I'll apply for the platimum select and hope for the best of it.

I want to try merging both cards , I see so many people on this board having succes with this and want to try it also.

If I don't get a lower apr after the promotional period I can always try retention.

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I got a platinum select card with prime + 3.24% apr for purchases. I think the 20+ apr is a default rate...

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I think your right marci, The default rate is like 23 or 24+ APR! You definately don't want to miss payments on this one!

---> Zaphod

8. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

thanks for the quick replys.

9. mirabelle

mirabelle Well-Known Member

I have a Choice card which is Citibank (their so-called no-frills card) and it's at 10.5 APR right now and it does have a $20 annual fee (but I have balance so it helps to have the low APR as I am paying it down as quickly as possible).

At one point my APR was about 17% and I called and asked what else they had. If you don't care about the affinity, ask them what other options they have and if there is anything with a better interst rate. I've also had this card since 1989 in one form or fashion.

Hope this helps.

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

They are hunters and trappers.
    After they find you they trap you with the fine print and skin you with high interest rates!

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

huh? Citibank trapped me with a prime+0.9% rate.

you are only as trapped as you are contented to be with..

"R" is the key.