why doesn't anyone like the AR

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bgolden, Nov 11, 2000.

1. bgolden

bgolden Guest

I'VE HAD A PROVIDIAN CARD SINCE JANUARY, AND APPLIED FOR THE ARIA, GOT APPROVED FOR THE PERSONA, BUT I DONT KNOW THE LIMIT YET? I WAS READING THE POST AND MOST OF YOU DIDNT LIKE THIS CARD? PLEASE TELL ME MORE OF YOUR OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES WITH IT.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: why doesn't anyone like th

No grace period, high interest rates, and ugly card are the reasons I don't like the Persona.

3. bgolden

bgolden Guest

DID THEY GIVE YOU A GOOD LIMIT? AND DID YOU HAVE ANY CHARGEOFFS ON YOUR CREDIT? DO THEY POST PAYMENTS ONTIME. HAVE YOU HAD THE CARD LONG? SORRY SO MANY QUESTIONS, I WAS JUST WONDERING SO I KNOW WHETHER TO ACCEPT THE OFFER OR NOT

THANKS A MILLION : )
    ANYONE ELSE, PLEASE COMMENT TOO.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I started BUILDING my credit from scratch in Dec. 1999. The first credit card I got was Providian's Aria Persona; I was thrilled!!

I had no bad credit of course, because I was just starting out, so I got an unsecured $500 limit. I got that account in Feb. 2000.

Right now, I have a $1200 limit, same interest and all of that. However, I am calling as soon as they post my payment I made, because that will make my bal. 0. I've had the account some 9 months, so I am going to call and see if I could upgrade to the Portrait card: grace period, higher limit, etc. I don't care about the interest rate because I always pay in full on the card.

9 months doesn't seem like long, but it's easier and faster to build credit w/ no derogatories on your reports, then to negotiate better terms after REbuilding credit. Hope this helps!

Dave

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Everyone knows the aria/providian stigma of being a credit rebuilder. (Providian looks better). Aria is PLAIN FUGLY.

I have one, use it for online purchases only. Matter of fact, i don't really see a need for it, so i'm going to pay the measly $200 off and let it idle till the next year when the membership is due, and nuke it. Since i paid the sorry monthly fee already, might as well get a trade line.

At least its not-secured!

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Hey Sam

The forever prime man. LOL.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

rate, grace, appearance, stigm

If you dont like ugly cards, call and cancel the application before they can get you in their records. It is not the ugliest card on the planet, but is definitely not a showpiece.

roni.

8. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: speaking of cancelling car

I still haven't gotten my Chase card yet. They take forever!!

Anyway, maybe it's a good thing because I just might not keep it. I don't need another tradeline, and I need to worry about aging what I have and not really get more.

What do you guys think? I know, I know, Chase is ultra-prime, but too many new accounts is going to kill my score.

9. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

Their is a lot of negative ralk about the Aria card, and a lot of others for that matter. My husbands Aria experience has been fine. He started building his credit last year and Aria Persona was his first major card with a $500 limit and the 23.99 rate with no grace. His account is now 15 months old and he now has a 6000 limit and a grace period with a 16.9 rate and no annual fee. He hasn't had any type of Problems with Providian, and neither have I, and my account is 26 months old.
    Also I don't know exactly how true this is ,but I was talking with a Supervisor at Aria and they were telling me that it's kind of better if you start off with the Persona than the Platinum, because there is rrom to grow. I know of a couple of people who got the Platinum and their limit is stuck at 5000, unless they qualified for more at the time and did balance transfers. We any way, as with any card you have, there's always going to be both negative and positive feedback, but you'll mostly here the "NEGATIVE". Our experiences has been great.

bgolden wrote:
    -------------------------------
    DID THEY GIVE YOU A GOOD LIMIT? AND DID YOU HAVE ANY CHARGEOFFS ON YOUR CREDIT? DO THEY POST PAYMENTS ONTIME. HAVE YOU HAD THE CARD LONG? SORRY SO MANY QUESTIONS, I WAS JUST WONDERING SO I KNOW WHETHER TO ACCEPT THE OFFER OR NOT

THANKS A MILLION : )
    ANYONE ELSE, PLEASE COMMENT TOO.

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

No Dave, in your case having more accounts will not hurt your score. Your score is too high. So having more than the wanted # will affect you less than someone with past delinq. Having more available credit with a history is worse. Its kinda like parole. You are establishing yourself. Chase has 2.99% intro APR for 6mos.with 18.99% thereafter. In your case you may get the 14.99 %. I figure you applied for either gold or plat and the rates are even better. But you can get a chase card at anytime with your scores. My girlfriend has way to many cards, I mean she has about 20 cards. She never gets turned down, cause she has never had a delinq in 8 years, she is just 27. I think that means alot.

11. TK

TK Guest

You'll hear no complaints from me on the aria card. I've had no problems with Providian. My payments have always posted on time, ect. People don't generally like it due to the higher interest rates and the lack of a grace period, and the annual fee. But if your rebuilding your credit you must start somewhere. Congradulations on your new account. It's just a stepping stone to better cards/offers. And after you've had it for wahile they will be more negotiable with you. We were able to get our interest rate lowered drastically, obtain a grace period and have the annual fee waived. You should be able to this after you've had the card about a year, especially when those other offers come rolling in, use them as leverage.

12. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Well, the website says 3.99% intro for 5 months, thereafter:

9.99% for Platinum
    11.99% for standard

Don't know if I'll have Platinum or Standard, but either is a great rate. Roni, I applied for the Shopnow.com Mastercard, as did you. Why is your interest higher than 11.99%?? I read something in the disclosures that the account may be established by Merrick Bank. Was yours?

13. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Well, the website says 3.99% intro for 5 months, thereafter:

9.99% for Platinum
    11.99% for standard

Don't know if I'll have Platinum or Standard, but either is a great rate. Roni, I applied for the Shopnow.com Mastercard, as did you. Why is your interest higher than 11.99%?? I read something in the disclosures that the account may be established by Merrick Bank. Was yours?

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I really dont know. I have bad credit Dave and that influences the rate.

15. roni

roni Well-Known Member

shopnow.com is a standard card.

16. Rosalyn Wi

Rosalyn Wi Guest

How high is the score before new lines won't affect
    it?

17. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Hey Sam

Forever? Naw. I'll be 11.9% in a year :)

how's AOL treatin' yah?

18. roni

roni Well-Known Member

A score like 750 is so high that having too many accounts would maybe drop the score like 10-25 points. That score is already too high to be declined for anything. And in Dave
    s case he has no negatives at all, just new accounts. That is just common sense to me. IF you want definites call FairIsaac or the 3 major CBAs. I am sure they would love to explain it all to ya.

roni.

Rosalyn Williams or Kevin Gray wrote:
    -------------------------------
    How high is the score before new lines won't affect
    it?