Why Platinum Select vs. Citi AA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MikeG, Aug 21, 2001.

1. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Hello all,

After a hard fought match, I was finally approved for my second Citibank card. Could you all please share why you all combined your two cards to the Platinum Select Card?

Thanks,

Mike G.

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Mike, most people combine because Citi does not report credit limits on the AA card. This card "allows" you to go overlimit and that is their excuse for not reporting it. Also, the AA card has an annual fee and a much higher interest rate.

Actually, I'm keeping mine rather than combining. I'm using it as my "purchase" card, paying it off every month and earning points. I'll never, ever carry a balance on it. I hope to get the credit bureaus to report it under the FCRA COMPLETE and ACCURATE clauses.

Mist

3. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Thanks again Mist,

I too thought about keeping it for the miles. Although you need 50K for a round trip for two.

Mike G.

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

well my platinum select is around 8.6% APR, thats a good reason to get this card. If you carry a balance, that is.

5. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

So Platinum Select has a better APR and lower annual fee?

How long do I need to wait to combine? Should I wait for the cards to arrive? If not, what do I say since I have no account numbers?

Mike G.

6. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Citibank does report credit limits on AA credit cards (they do on mine at least). They don't report limits on the AMEX-like charge cards like the AA World Mastercard because it is a charge card as opposed to a regular credit card with a revolving credit line.

7. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Mike, if your not interested in the miles for the aa card, as soon as the cards arrive call and have them upgraded to plat select, you can combine if you like just took a phone call for me. Also if your apr isn't what you want tell them you want prime + 0.9. They'll cut you a deal, or they did for me.

mindy

8. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. Mindy, I'll be sure to ask for that APR.

You never know, I may just get lucky.

Mike G.

9. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I have the AA World (it "allows" you to go over limit) so I guess no matter what they won't report the limits? Any suggestions?

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Mike,

Citibank stopped reporting limits to Experian. I had to have my limits added to my reports by dispute and sending in my monthly statement. This was in fall2000.

11. Saar

Saar Banned

No need to wait for your cards to arrive. Begin by asking them what are the terms for your new account. They can locate it w/ your SSN. I was going to say that if the rep refuses, you hang up and call again, but at this point in your relations w/ Citi, I'm sure you know it already :)

If you want an intro APR or a nice BT offer, ask for "R".

Saar

12. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

I think I have Citibank on memory dial for my phone.

Mike G.

13. MikeB

MikeB Banned

That is odd. I got a clik AA card this year, and Citi reports the credit limit to all 3 CRAs. I checked Experian just now. Maybe I am special? Or they reported it by mistake? Is CapOne to blame?

14. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

I received an alert from creditexpert.com that a modification to my credit has been made. I hope it's my two citibank cards reporting. I cannot think of anything else, unless they eliminated some of my inquiries, but they usually send out a different email for that.

I am unable to check creditexpert because I am at work and on an IMAC (teacher). I keep getting that no document available message.

Mike G.