Will they settle prior to a judgment being entered? - PART II

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NJTXGirl82, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Make sure you take out any personal information before posting it.

2. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

Was there anything attached to the complaint?

3. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

Is there a contract or agreement attached to the complaint or is it an affadivit? Or is there anything as to evidence that you used the account at all or that it was your account?

4. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

As a general suggestion you could answer if your local rules allow: ANSWER AND AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES DEFENDANT NJTXGirl, appearing pro se, answers the complaint of Plaintiff and, in responses to each numbered paragraph thereof, states: 1. Without knowledge. 2. Defendant is without information or knowledge sufficient to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in this paragraph and based on that denies and generally and specifically each and every allegation contained herein and demands strict proof. 3. Defendant is without information or knowledge sufficient to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in this paragraph and based on that denies and generally and specifically each and every allegation contained herein and demands strict proof. 4. Defendant is without information or knowledge sufficient to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in this paragraph and based on that denies and generally and specifically each and every allegation contained herein and demands strict proof. AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES 1. Plaintiff failed to allege ultimate facts to establish existence of a contract. 2 . Pursuant to Rule XXXX XX Rules of Civil Procedure, Plaintiff failed to attach notes, bills of exchange, account statements, contracts, or other documents upon which an action may be brought. 3. Pursuant to Rule xxxx xxx Rules of Civil Procedure, the statute of Limitations has lapsed. This needs to be cleaned up for your local rules.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

OK, I can't get it to format properly.....

6. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

As a general suggestion you could answer if your local rules allow: ANSWER AND AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES DEFENDANT NJTXGirl, appearing pro se, answers the complaint of Plaintiff and, in responses to each numbered paragraph thereof, states: 1. Without knowledge. 2. Defendant is without information or knowledge sufficient to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in this paragraph and based on that denies and generally and specifically each and every allegation contained herein and demands strict proof. 3. Defendant is without information or knowledge sufficient to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in this paragraph and based on that denies and generally and specifically each and every allegation contained herein and demands strict proof. 4. Defendant is without information or knowledge sufficient to form an opinion as to the truth or accuracy of the allegations contained in this paragraph and based on that denies and generally and specifically each and every allegation contained herein and demands strict proof. AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES 1. Plaintiff failed to allege ultimate facts to establish existence of a contract. 2 . Pursuant to Rule XXXX XX Rules of Civil Procedure, Plaintiff failed to attach notes, bills of exchange, account statements, contracts, or other documents upon which an action may be brought. 3. Pursuant to Rule xxxx xxx Rules of Civil Procedure, the statute of Limitations has lapsed. This needs to be cleaned up for your local rules.

7. apexcrsrv

That'll do . . . and do just fine.

You could file a MTD based on Affirmative Defenses Paragraph's 1 through 3 as well. Of course, that is a matter of procedural preference to large degree.

In any event, I think Enigma is owed some applause here. Good Job!

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

<applause>

Good job, Enigma!!

9. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

If, after you file your Answers, Defenses and Sworn Denial, you still wish to settle, open the negotiation's at 25% or $650.

10. NJTXGirl82

NJTXGirl82 Well-Known Member

1. There was no agreement, nothing attached to what was sent to me--just the summons and complaint.

2. I have to fill out some form they mentioned--an answer form which is only available from the Court (go figure), so I have to send to them along with a $15.00 filing fee and a copy to the plaintiff's attorney. I have 35 days from the day I was "served" to do so.

3. I want to thank ALL of you for your assistance--I'm a perfect stranger and this is tough for me, but I really do appreciate the assistance you've all given me here.

11. Collector2

Collector2 Active Member

Ok, I am confused

Why is the $2300 case being heard outside of small claims. Maybe NJ is way different, but this case would be heard in small claims in California.

To be sure, follow the steps as outlined in Apex's post. When you answer the court or even file other motions, it gets us (CA's) moving. We either can prove it or the whole matter gets dropped. As an example, we had a case where a def states that the court filing was 1 day past the statute of limitation. The amount was $170k, so our attorney argued on the basis of discovery of the debt, it was of course dismissed with prejudice based on the fact that we and our attorney dropped the proverbial ball.

12. NJTXGirl82

Well--it's being heard in the Special Civil Law unit of the NJ Superior Ct. I think it is small claims as they say it's for anything under $15,000.00.

I went to the website and downloaded to form to send my answer. I called the court and spoke to a woman who told me that my answer was due by January 11th and then after they received my answer, the court had anywhere between 60-90 days to grant a hearing.

The form is here: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10542.pdf

I guess going forward, my questions are:

1. Their attorney says the account was opened in 2000 and defaulted in 2002. Can they truly provide the evidence to prove that this is mine (if it is)?

2. If lose, how long do judgments stay on credit reports?

3. If I follow Apex and Enigma's advice, do I stand a shot at beating this thing?

4. Is it worth it to try to contact the original creditor and work out an arrangement to them? Is it even possible now that Unifund has it?

5. The account was opened in TX where the SOL is 4 years. Do I have a defense based on that? I just moved to NJ 1.5 years ago (probably when the SOL in TX expired, which is probably what woke this thing up again)

Unifund is not a nice company. Pretty morally repugnant considering they bought this for probably nothing and are now demanding way more than what the maximum even was. The lawyer (or whatever software he has) doesn't even have the proper information because he lists different amounts in the complaint and then different amounts on the summons forms.

13. apexcrsrv

I knew it, they don't have the paper. Yes, you do have a chance at outright dismissal if they can't show any obligation.

14. Oracle

Oracle Banned

Basic point, if you don't make the attempt to beat it, you have no chance of beating it.

As long as you keep the process open, you retain options.

The gratuitous applause, above, notwithstanding, Enigma's draft answer concisely puts the onus of proof on plaintiff, where it belongs. The draft simply says "prove it".

You can parse the situation to see if you have affirmative defenses, and you can use discovery to make sure they prove their case. Depending on what is offered as proof, you may have ways of beating them. You may not. Much too soon to tell.

As Unifund likely owns the debt now, it is an open question as to whether or not they can provide the proof required. All the discrepancies and mismatches of claims can poison their evidence. Failure to provide admissible proof can torpedo their case.

Until a judgment is actually signed by the Court and filed, you have all sorts of options still open, including settlement.

First step is the answer to the complaint.

15. Collector2

Collector2 Active Member

Just speculating

I think by even starting to answer the complaint in an open and unbiased system will have the attorney offering a settlement. I think that Oracle is right, you should start the process as outlined by Enigma and Apex and see where this lands you.

Um, according to the NJ Lawrev, you can negotiate a settlement or confession of the judgment (basically a promissory note) but here is the catch, if you fail to fulfill, the judgment is automatically entered against you.
    This one is dicey, but in California, we call it a stipulated jugment where the court monitors the payments. The enforcement of the judgment is not enforced and it doesn't really show up as a judgment until a notice of default is sent to the court on the stipulation.

Here is NJ's rules:

J-12. Ex parte entry of judgment on written settlement agreement

a. A judgment may be entered on a written agreement that consents to the entry of judgment only as provided in this section. Notice of the application for entry of judgment shall be given to the defendant in the form required by the court rules for notice of application for entry of default judgment.

b. The written agreement consenting to entry of judgment may be executed only after the acts or omissions of defendant have created a cause of action against the defendant for the amount of the judgment.

c. The application for entry of judgment shall be supported by an affidavit of the facts on which the judgment is based.

d. The agreement shall authorize entry of judgment for a specific sum or for a
    sum to be calculated in a manner provided in the agreement.

e. The agreement may authorize immediate entry of judgment or it may impose new obligations on the defendant and condition entry of judgment upon failure to comply with its terms.

16. NJTXGirl82

Received the following email today:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ms. NJTXGirl82

As of todayâ??s date the balance due is $3,005.99. Interest accrues daily. Your proposal in your telephone call was 70% and now it is 50%?

My client is able to further reduce and settle this matter for $2,400 to be paid in two payments. The first payment would need to be in the amount of $1,200.00, due on 12/31 and the second and final payment in the amount of $1,200.00 January 25. Client is not required to renew or extend this proposal.

I am not going to discuss/argue the merits of this case in email. If you feel that you wish to file an answer with the court, please file according to the directions in the Summons.

17. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

First of all, no more emails. You need a paper trail the court will accept.

If it were me:

Dear Attorney,

Thank you for your clients couter offer, which is hereby rejected.

I will shortly file my Answer and affirmative Defenses.

Sincerely

xxxx

Now go file your Answer and defenses along with the Sworn Denial.

Let the games begin.

18. apexcrsrv

As I originally thought insofar as this is debt collector, they are already backing away from their initial posture because they know they can't prove it up.

I would either 1) file a Motion for a More Definitive Statement or 2) file a Motion to Dismiss for failure to state a claim. In either event, I doubt they Object inasmuch as their case is a loser.

By and large, debt purchasers cannot show a chain of ownership. That is why they must put on out of court statements.

In any event, file something and make it go away. I wouldn't pay them a dime. Enigma's Answer is perfectly fine. It is really a matter of procedural preference as to how you proceed and this point. In the end, it's going to come out as their case is dismissed, striken, and if they can recoup (I don't find this likely), it will be little in light of properly plead equitable defenses.

Again, I'd fight this one.

19. GreatWhite

GreatWhite Banned

AH HAH! That's most interesting!

I'm not an expert on math or anything, but if your interest went up from 2800 to 3006 in a 1 month period, that would be about equivalent to 89% interest. (formula is =Principle*(1+(Rate/Number of Periods))^(Number of Periods*Total Time in Years)

Help me out on this, wouldn't 89% interest be obviously illegal? :p

20. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

Depending in NJ law, it may in fact be usurious and therefore a FDCPA violation and possibly a crime in NJ.