Wingspan Online bank

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dolly, Aug 23, 2000.

1. dolly

dolly Guest

This is going to sound really dumb but I was unable to open a checking account at my credit union because of Chexsystems. I saw n another credit board to try an online bank such as Wingspan which I did and got accepted for a checking account. But what I do not understand (dumb, dumb) is how do I put money in that account. And do I get real paper checks or is it all virtual. Can anyone explain? I am sorry to be so ignorant but I have never dealt with an online bank before...

2. Rob M

Rob M Guest

Hello Dolly

Once you open an "on-line" account you will usually recieve a welcome package within two weeks. It will contain starter checks, deposit slips and basic account information. separately, you will recieve your atm card and pin#. Wingspan bank is one of the more "stable" on-line banks and is a division of Bankone.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Dolly:

I have been with Wingspan for almost 2 years now. They are great. You will get actual checks. They are just like a regular bank, except they do not have any branches. All your transactions are done by mail, ATM or ACH transfers. You will receive a VISA check card to withdraw money.

You can mail in deposits, wire transfer direct deposit, and within the next 2 weeks you will be able to make your deposits at certain ATM machines directly to the bank. This process will hold up your money for approx. 5 days though. So if your not in a hurry to get deposits to the bank, this is a great bank to use. Any time I have had a problem with them, I just pick up the phone and call, and the problem is resolved immediatley. The customer service is outstanding. Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Everything is correct except Wingspan is no longer a part of Bank One. It was sold

5. Lopez

Lopez Guest

Another good point about Wingspan is they are quick to answer the phone

Jim wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Dolly:

I have been with Wingspan for almost 2 years now. They are great. You will get actual checks. They are just like a regular bank, except they do not have any branches. All your transactions are done by mail, ATM or ACH transfers. You will receive a VISA check card to withdraw money.

You can mail in deposits, wire transfer direct deposit, and within the next 2 weeks you will be able to make your deposits at certain ATM machines directly to the bank. This process will hold up your money for approx. 5 days though. So if your not in a hurry to get deposits to the bank, this is a great bank to use. Any time I have had a problem with them, I just pick up the phone and call, and the problem is resolved immediatley. The customer service is outstanding. Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

No wonder its customer service is good. Bank One is absolutely opposed to good customer service, and it views its customers as its enemies. Perhaps First USA would step up to adequate customer service if Bank One would turn it over to another bank.

7. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

The ATM option with their always great customer service really put Wingspan up there as one of the best online banks.

The major reservations about this bank were that it DOES do a check with ChexSystems and that it was a division of the hated BankOne.

Well one down one to go.

One thing is for certain its certainly miles ahead of X.com with its very mediocre customer service, constantly changing terms and most importantly their total downplaying of their banking services see http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ob/20000818.asp

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

RE: Wingspan Is First USA

Just another note:

Wingspan is a division of First USA ! and still their CS is great !

9. justme

justme Guest

just a warning, and not to burst your bubble, but they are known for opening an account, THEN verifying with chexsystems and then immediately closing the account.

10. dolly

dolly Guest

I was going to send in a deposit by mail. How long do you think I should wait to see if they do close the acount? The account will be purged if I do not put funds in it within 15 days.

11. Lopez

Lopez Guest

Send them a small deposit, say $100. I am really upset with them. I had an account with $100 in it. Someone did an ACH to me for a few thousand, and they bounced it back and closed the account.

12. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Try TD Waterhouse

You may want to change to TD Waterhouse Bank. They are also an internet bank, and they do not run a checksystems or a credit check unless you apply for their credit line. No minimum balance to open the account and the terms are pretty close to Wingspan, except you only get 3 atm rebates a month.

http://www.tdwaterhouse.com

13. dolly

dolly Guest

I don't understand why they would close your account for having a lot of money in it. That seems to go against evertything everyone knows and believes about banks...

14. dolly

dolly Guest

RE: Try TD Waterhouse

Has anyone any info good or bad on SFNBs online accounts?

15. me

me Well-Known Member

RE: SFNB

They do credit checks. Years ago in 1994/1995 (I can't remember exactly), before my credit was fully established, I tried to open a checking account, but they said I didn't have enough credit history. I recently opened a visa with them, and for that they used equifax. I don't know about checksystem. They are a good bank.

I also have an account at Bank Direct (www.bankdirect.com). I did not see an inquiry on any of my credit reports, but again, I don't know about checksystem. I opened their money market account, but they also have a good checking account.

16. alison

alison Guest

RE: SFNB

Bank Direct is a great bank, but the down fall is they do verify with Chexsystems. Therefore, if you are on the hit list, even if it's 5 years and 11 months old, they will decline the application.

17. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

ChexSystems

Wouldn't that be 4 years and 11 months? I thought, and I hope, that the limit at ChexSystems is 5 years. I overdrew my Bank One check guarantee card via ATM about 5 years ago.

18. alison

alison Guest

RE: ChexSystems

So sorry. I stand corrected. You are right...consider it a TYPO :)