World Trade Center attack!!!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Hope, Sep 11, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: This is EERIE

Jake, National Guard here has been called in to duty.
    VA declared state of emergency - proximity to Washington, I guess.

2. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Aside from National 911 Day (Get it? 9/11 9-1-1?) I can't find anything. Maybe that's it.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/sep2001/nhlbi-10.htm

3. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

How the heck did these people hijack at least 4 planes with the security at the airports? They had to have some type of weapon? Unbelievable!

4. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

We shall not blink

For those fanatics and nations that believe the cowardly attack perpetrated today will make a difference - WE SHALL NOT BLINK! We will find you and you will face justice.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."

--John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 35th president of the United States of America

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Second tower gone!

Both of my friends are accounted for in NYC. They cant make it home yet. One is safe and just cant get home.The other was injured but is ok. This is such an awful event.

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Second tower gone!

So glad they're okay Roni.

7. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Third building collapses

# 7 World Trade Center which stood adjacent to the WTC towers just collapsed as I watched.

It had received heavy damage from the previous 2 buildings collapsing.

8. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Re: Third building collapses

A friend of mine's son in in the military "Special Forces". He just called her cell phone at work, saying his commander have given them each 30 seconds to make a phone call before deploying to "somewhere in the world".

My own younger brother had once been in Special Forces. Last time that happened to him he called my Mom. Later we found out he had been deployed during the Granada action.

9. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

My son is in the Army in Germany. He called his mother about 1 hour ago and let her know his unit will be deploying within 4 hours - they will not say to where.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

11. Quixote

Though it's interesting hearing the tidbits of inside info, on the theory that Loose Lips Sink Ships, should this discussion really continue down this path?

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Inside info? Get serious. I don't have any inside info, it was on yahoo homepage!!

14. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Afghanistan

Remember when the Afghan government blew up those beautiful, ancient cliff carvings of the Buddha? I wouldn't doubt for a moment that they feel the same way about American skyscrapers. Any monument to another way of life is a threat to them.

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Afghanistan

Donald Rumsfeld just said it is not the US behind the explosions in Afghanistan.

16. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I was listening to the radio today and some lady made a correlation between the flight numbers and terrorist events in history.

Example: Flight 93, the WTC bombing was in 1993, right? Stuff like that freaks me out. She also had a correlation between a flight number and the Camp David Accords.

This is all too devastating to me. I wanna post about an offer I received today, but its times like this that makes my small life seem insignificant.

My prayers go out to the victims and their loved ones.

17. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Without trying to sound alarming or melodramatic, believe me when I say that airport security is largely window dressing (up until now). It is really designed to deter those of us who are "normal"/sane and value human life and at the same time provide people with the feeling of security (as quoted above). To increase security at US airports would require precious resources that the airlines--who pay for the $6/hr weenie that wands you with the handheld magnetometer--don't want to expend: time and money. One of our investigators put it succinctly: "Airline security is largely designed to prevent John Doe from carrying a gun onto the plane or selling his non-changable no-refund ticket to somebody else."

Like the US Secret Service says, anyone who is determined enough and is willing to give up his life in the process (and has the resources) can get to any target/individual.

18. Quixote

Breeze, I was referring to the posts above yours talking about their cousin's nephew's next door neighbor who's in whatever brigade and just got shipped out. Just seemed like it was headed into an area that doesn't need to be posted publicly. Often times, in our free society, we learn things, sometimes quite by accident, that could be sensitive in nature. This is one of those times where we all need to think before we speak. Particularly those who have family, friends, etc. who put on the uniform and go defend the rest of us. That's all. Not an attack on anyone. Just a caution.

19. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Bush is on NOW turn on your tv's

20. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

The information I gave out was broadcast on the local ABC affiliate. Jeepers, calm down. The military is not going to divulge where people are going if they don't want it known. I was listening to the Admiral who commands the Atlantic Fleet in his press conference which was open to the public and being broadcast live. No disprespect intended, but I don't think he needs us monitoring his communications for security lapses.