WORST POSSIBLE CREDIT CARD?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Violonist, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Violonist

Violonist Guest

OK - here is your chance. What is the very worst possible credit card out there?

I vote for:

1. Cross Country Bank - with their Devil Card and Lake of Fire

2. Associates Bank - bad customer service bad interest rates boring card

2. Len

Len Guest

RE: WORST POSSIBLE CREDIT CARD

I don't think we've been fair to Cross Country. If you have money to burn, are masochistically attracted to brutal customer treatment, and want to learn about larceny and fraud personally, Cross Country may be ideal.

3. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

1. Cross Country Bank - as vouched by Len :)

2. All sub sub-prime cards which includes the Aria Persona

3. First USA - will surely be fined over 1 BILLION !! and enough lawsuits to fill the lake of fire

4. Providian - only because they were fined $20 mil + $300 mil and many more lawsuits to come so service 'MAY' improve..but then they always promise that..

5. Fleet - if your not a BIG business client they're gonna get rid of you one way or another..

6. Associates - not one good thing to say about this bank, leader in jacking up interest rates

4. Saar

Saar Banned

No wonder Providian is easier in issuing unsecured cards.

What other banks want you to deposit against a secured card, they charge as FEES.

This difference is obvious: In the latter, you'll never see your money again.

I do believe, however, that after 6 months of documented credit history, you can get a Providian non-Aria card with reasonable terms (No processing fee, a decent grace period, and a lower-than-mafia-rate APR)

Saar

5. Michael H.

Michael H. Guest

Watch out for First USA. Their interest rates are close to usury and poor customer service. I hope they do get fined, they deserve it.

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I loved my GE Mastercard while it lasted. Unfortunately, First USA now owns all the old GE accounts, and they absolutely SUCK! Not only did the interest rates shoot up, customer service went straight to hell.

No matter what they call themselves, First USA is a sub-prime lender that requires good credit. All I've ever encountered with customer service is a bunch of inept -bitches and -bastards.

Anyone who requires at least decent customer service should stay far away from anything from First USA, Bank One, or Wingspan. They're all one in the same.

7. BOB

BOB Guest

I have to go with the majority here and say
    by far the worst is CROOKS COUNRTY BANK,
    although I have never dealt with First USA.
    But most everybody who is a regular here knows how I feel about CCB.

8. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

"First USA is a sub-prime lender that requires good credit."

You've succintly stated it.

The ONLY persons who could possibly find any use for their cards are either somebody who is using their cards to make money such as CreditWorks or those IN THE POSITION to play the balance transfer game.

Nobody else...that means you...need apply.

I fervently hope that the numerous upcoming class action suits commence this year and when all is settled an example is made of this company and its practises that will give pause to the other companies (Fleet, Associates) following in its wake.

9. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Totally agree. First USA does allow me to work the credit card shuffle. I kind of rate MBNA better than Chase at the moment, but Chase has given me more lines with higher limits than any other company. MBNA offers the teaser rates more often than Chase.

Profit from the experience.

http://www.creditsense.com

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

I continue to worry about Providian service, in particular timely posting, but they have surprised me at times. My first couple of payments took a week to get posted, but my June payment took only four days.

I think that Providian really warms up to people who carry balances and make their payments on time. They probably hate people who get a Platinum Visa and then pay the balance in full every month. The history of Providian is that they want unpaid balances more than any other bank. That's why they used to REQUIRE a $2000 cash advance to receive their "First Select Visa" and "Diamond Prestige Visa" products. That's why they raise your credit limits early and often, and frequently to excess. (Greetings, Barry N.) And that may be why they tried to create unpaid balances using phony late fees. I hope they've quit stealing in that particular manner. I can't afford to pay off my Providian Visa just yet.

11. persia

persia Guest

My own experience will attest to First USA ...the Nightmare BANK!
    A balance transfer was made to National Bank to pay off both First USA M/C and Visa accts.five months ago.Instead of closing accts, FirstUSA NOW paid in full consolidated the two accts, and debited my
    acct twice.Doubling MY NON EXISTENT DEBT:
    Each time I cALLED about $4,600.00 THIS FRAUD....plus finance charges, late fees etc,customer service was SNOTTY, Rude,ignored me.Claimed NEVER Rec'd my FAXES,Certified MAIL,This has been going on for five months.I provided PROOF POSITIVE DEBT WAS PAID IN FULL!
    Nothing has worked....!
    Where can I go with this next???????
    thanks.....

12. BarryN- Cr

BarryN- Cr Guest

Thanks for thinking of me :)

Regards,

BarryN

13. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

First USA is a huge, arrogant institution with the most incompetent reps in the industry, their typical stance to any problem is to lie and stonewall, harass you and then report you negatively to the credit bureaus.

The ONLY WAY to deal with these types of companies is to sue them.

Hire a lawyer, though unlike normal institutions with this company the odds are very high they'll ignore the lawyers letter, then proceed to take them to Superior Court (this way you can get major damages versus small claims court). Also, you will be taken more seriously by the apathetic state regulatory agency bureaucrats (who you will contact, (as well as the federal ones) when you file the case) who may decide to institute their own investigation and fine First USA.

You have a stack of evidence the court victory is automatic, also you'll need the judge to issue an order of declatory relief to remove the item from your credit report).

14. Michael H.

Michael H. Guest

Could you or anyone tell me about the law suites that are mentioned on this board. What is happening? Are there class action suites and against whom?

15. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I just told them where to cram their damned old card. It really pissed me off when my card was so often declined for no apparent reason. My credit with them had absolutely no blemishes.

All I ever encountered on the phone when I asked questions were arrogant turds. The lady I spoke to when I called to cancel my account was an absolute -@!#$! I told her that if she didn't mind her f**king manners with a CUSTOMER, I'd come down there and snatch her baldheaded!

A few harsh words seemed to humble her quite a bit. I'm sure the office I called is quite large, but I'm sure I could have found that smartass hag.

Cancelling an account with them was as big a hassle as getting rid of a Cross Country account. Cross Country threatened to send someone to my house if I didn't cough up some fees they made up on the spot. I told them to send someone with a hard head because he/she would find out really quick what it would be like to be cold-cocked with a cast iron frying pan. That shut them up, and there were no fees added.

Sometimes you just have to stoop to the same low to upgrade your customer service a bit. When I'm the customer, their job is to make me HAPPY! ...and I mean damned happy!

16. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

One point I would like to bring up.

Now I'm certainly not attempting to compare GE with this criminal organisation called First USA but I recall GE being the first creditor that instituted a hated annual fee for its "convenience users" (one's like yourself who pay their bill in full each month) only instead of "smart consumers" they consider this group as "deadbeats" and attempted to drive this group away.

I recall the scandal and bad publicity it caused at the time, but in time and due to timely bribes it blew over and the end result is banks such as Fleet.