wrong charge on my CC

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rajudoss, Jan 17, 2011.

1. rajudoss

rajudoss New Member

i did purchase air ticket from emirates in october 2008 using my visa credit card, but the charge was shown as TATA AIG (vendor name) on my credit card statement. The problem was i did not notice this problem at that time and i paid my statement. Later after two years Emirates charged my credit card for the ticket purchased in 2008. when i raised dispute on the second transaction, the bank came back saying the charge is pertinent to the air ticket purchsed in october 2008. So effectively i have paid twice for the same purchase. I could not raise dispute on october 2008 transaction as time limit is elapsed. What is the remedy available to me to get back my money ?

And i am not sure how did emirates charged my credit card after two years when their terms for air ticket purchase is cash basis (immediate payment)?

Can any one help me to go further on this issue ?

thanks in advance.

Raju doss

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

TATA AIG is a joint venture between AIG and Tata life insurance in India. It looks like they may also provide travel insurance, so are you 100% sure the charge you remember on your credit card wasn't for something other than the airfare? I don't see how TATA AIG could be connected with Emirates airlines in any way.

Do you still have copies of your old credit card statements?

3. BCOHEN2010

BCOHEN2010 Well-Known Member

Are you here in the US? If so, I don't see how a credit card company could allow a charge for something that long ago to "go through", or how they could deny your right to dispute it. There are time limits for a merchant to post a charge to a customer's account, just as there are time limits to file a chargeback (dispute). I am fairly certain that 2 years is well beyond any of these time periods.

If you are absolutely certain that the charge is unauthorized (or was already paid), then you will need to go up the "chain of command" at your credit card company and make it very clear--every step of the way--that the charge is invalid and you won't be paying it. Eventually, you will find a supervisor who will be willing to delete the charge to keep you happy (and keep you paying on the account). It costs them next to nothing to charge back a merchant, compared to pissing off a customer who might then decide to "quit paying" and default on the account.

I do not have a lot of experience with this, as the whole time I used credit cards (basically from 1999 to 2009) I only once had to dispute charges, and that was for an Internet provider that kept billing my account despite my express orders to cancel. The credit card company (which was Citibank) charged back all of the money which this company had ever charged me, credited it to my account, and gave me a new card with a different account number to keep them from charging me again. I didn't have to argue with anyone to do this--it was done by them to keep me happy.

4. rajudoss

rajudoss New Member

Hello,

thank you for your reply.

I am very much sure that i never ever had any transaction with TATA AIG. And more over the amount charged was exactly same as the air fare and the same date i booked my ticket.

I do have copies of my old credit card statements.

When i raised a dispute on year 2010 charge by emirates, after investigation, bank came back saying this charge is pertinent to the air ticket purchased in 2008.

what should i do at this point ? shall i go for a legal action ? if so whom should i sue against ?

thanks

5. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

The TATA AIG thing is very strange, but I agree with BCOHEN. If you're in the US and you have copies of your credit card statements to show that this has already been paid for 2 years ago, there's no reason why your credit card company shouldn't work with you to do a charge back. Even if you couldn't prove that you've already paid for it, they should still do a charge back and let you fight it out with Emirates. Get a supervisor on the line and he/she should be able to help you initiate the charge back.