WTF Experian Judgement (long)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by EdG, Aug 20, 2001.

  1. EdG

    EdG Well-Known Member

    I'll try and make this short.

    Got a copy of my CR's last year. Saw a judgement for $1700 from an old landlord on Experian. I moved out of a place where I was a tenant at will. Gave my 30 days notice and made sure everything was paid for up until the day I left. Little did I know my Idiot ex roommates stopped paying rent after I left.

    So I dispute the judgement with experian last year it comes back as verified. After reading many posts on judgements here I decided to do something. I went to the courthouse Friday and had the paperwork pulled. The clerk says to me wait a second there's no judgement in your name. The judgement was for my two ex roommates. The never went through with it for me, and I was never served. I now have copies of the paperwork showing no judgement in my name.

    So what the hell was Experian doing when the verified this judgement. How should I go about disputing now? Should I send in the paperwork or just call them up and go through the same process again. If I do that, chances are it will come back verified again and I can stick it to Experian. Any ideas or experiences?

    Thanks for the great advice in previous posts that got me rolling on this.

  2. Mist

    Mist Well-Known Member

    Before you do anything, consider this:

    If you have been denied credit since that judgement landed on your credit report you may have "damages" against Experian or the entity who furnished the information (landlord? Collection Agency?).

    If you have obtained credit since that judgement was placed on your report in error but at a higher APR or at other terms which were less than what you otherwise would have received you may have additional "damages" against Experian and/or the entity who furnished the information.

    If any of the above apply to you consider filing suit in small claims or district court for the defamation, slander, violation of FCRA (@$1,000 per violation) and emotional distress.

    Good luck!
  3. Marie

    Marie Well-Known Member

    Damages by being
    denied credit
    receiving unfavorable terms because of diminished credit standing
    receiving an unfavorable account review
    either apr
    or denied/ limited line increase


    this is really cut and dry.

    If you want to add to damages, apply for a Plat card or 2 somewhere and then file.

    You really could get money out of them for this. This is ridiculous.
  4. Mist

    Mist Well-Known Member

    And of course the violation of the FCRA for fraudulently claiming to have verified a derogatory when in fact it could not have been "verified." That's $1,000 right there that they now OWE you!
  5. EdG

    EdG Well-Known Member

    Wow thanks for the advice. Should I dispute it again with EX so I can Have a little more ammunition?
  6. Mist

    Mist Well-Known Member

    I don't think you need any more ammunition. They are nailed on this one. Go ahead and file suit. There is a lot of info on this site on how to do it if you use the search feature. Others here may be able to chime in with direct links if they know which threads helpful information would be found in.

  7. EdG

    EdG Well-Known Member

    Thanks Mist.

    On another note. I was looking for documentation that I did dispute this judgement, couldn't find it. So I decided to call Experian. It turns out that I disputed it this year and it was verified 6/2001. They never sent me an updated report. So now the ever so kind folks at Experian are sending me updated report to prove that I disputed the judgement. I'm ready to roll now.


Share This Page