X.COM - Transferred last 3 cen

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Oct 2, 2000.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I enjoyed transferring the last 3 cents out of fabulous X.com.

Another start-up dot.com gone down the drain now that the nasdaq market has "corrected."

I am glad I only had the 3 cents left.
    No good old line of credit @ 9.9%.
    The shiny old Titanium Visa is worthless -
    just like all the employees' stock options!

Bye bye X.

Dogman

2. Creditinsi

Creditinsi Guest

RE: X.COM - Transferred last 3

X.com is a privately held company, there are no stock options. (yet)

Alex.
    Creditinsiders.com

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I seem to recall being resoundly criticized for trashing X.com when it first rolled out and was a very hot topic on this board.

I now feel very validated now that it's all but crumbled into dust and blown away.

It sounded entirely too good to be true, and it was.

4. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

Just because it's a privately held company, it doesn't mean there are no stock opinions. A lot of internet companies are privately held in the beginning, but the employees have stock options that they can even convert into stock before the company goes public. Of course, for most companies, those options don't seem as attractive now.

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I guess you can say told you so! Hay we're all about riding the 0% interest for XX months with new cards. We should be happy we got everything we could out of x.com while it was a feasible business.

on a side note: Paypal.com owned by x.com is now restricting their users to $500 free received money per 6 months and will force users to convert to business class (2% of each transaction) pretty soon!

WATCH OUT!

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes I remember you be leary of this bank, i guess you can say I told you so:) Heck we should have listened to you!!

7. lextalioni

lextalioni Guest

Im with you,J Edgar. I was called a "crook" when I compalimed they refused to close my account.

8. Len

Len Guest

Right again, J. Edgar!
    I'm going to start listening to you:)

9. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I got my butt ripped apart for mentioning that X.Com was in trouble once. Still, After it didn't go down when I thought it would, I transferred quite a bit of money into the account because of the interest rates.

As soon as I got word that they were nixing the overdraft line, I snatched out every last cent. Those damned people are just too fickle to be in business. Just think of how many changes we saw in the few months X.Com was in business!

I'll reiterate what I said before. If you have a nickel in your account, you'd better get it now, while the getting is good. X.Com is as good as belly-up. They have screwed themselves, and screwed is SCREWED!

If you wait around long enough that you have to collect your money from FDIC, you're in for a long, bureaucratic process, and you'd better be ready to do without it for months or even years.

X.Com turned out to be a fly-by-night operation, and the quicker we put it out of its misery by withdrawing every cent, the better.

10. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I'm still using my account with no problems. They are paying interest and with my PayPal account CreditWorks' is accepting credit card payments for memberships. They are still have a viable product.

http://www.creditsense.com

11. Len

Len Guest

Doris, I agree. With this latest change, the $12.00 monthly
    fee (!), X.Com seems to begging to be euthanized. Can there be another explanation for such a ridiculous fee?
    I guess they could ask everyone to withdraw their money so they could close their virtual doors, but this should have the same effect.

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

LEN, Doris - the $12 fee is needed because they need to meet next month's rent payment!

Maybe PayPal is good for business applications; X.Com is of no benefit.

I VERY MUCH ENJOYED SENDING AN IMMEDIATE EMAIL LAST NIGHT and told them to close my account effective upon receipt of my email.

I suggest everyone get their dollars, and e-transfer to their own checking - ASAP!
    Then e-mail them to close.

Dogman

13. Len

Len Guest

I wonder how the folks who owe them money will be treated, Dogman. Will they have to pay the monthly fee just to make payments? Let me know how they respond to your e-mail because I haven't heard anything yet.

14. William Wa

William Wa Guest

In case anyone didn't know, X.com stopped accepting new banking customers sometime ago. They don't want to be in the banking business anymore, and want to focusing exclusively on making their Paypal service the top payment service internationally.

They want the banking business to just go away, and this latest change is just their way of speeding up the process.

It's not that the company is in trouble. Paypal has been growing at a record rate, and with international payments from 26 countries being added by the end of this month, its prospects are still great.

X.com Customer service was clear though, they don't want to deal with the banking business anymore.

So it's not that your money is at risk with X.com, or that they are going out of business. Far from it. They just don't want your banking business anymore.

William Walsh

15. Doris K.

They must have grown weary of the banking business within the first couple months of existence. It's been terribly unstable from the beginning.

Keep in mind that X.Com hasn't even reached its first anniversary. If they let PayPal go to straight to hell like they did X.Com, it too will be in the same sort of TROUBLE.

I will contend that X.Com IS in trouble. Poor and irresponsible business practices spells nothing but trouble. Those who can't keep a business operating an entire year have obviously been irresponsible.

I'm having trouble coming up with any conclusion to this post other than summarizing by saying "X.Com is in TROUBLE!"

16. William Wa

William Wa Guest

Only if you look at it from the perspective that they want to keep you as a customer of their banking service.

If they decide they don't want that business line, in favor of one that is vastly more profitable and flexible, and with less overhead (the banking overhead comes from the fact that the actual services are contracted through a secondary bank), then the best way to divest the business line they want to get out of is to make it unattractive for people to continue using it.

It's a pain in the #$@ for those of us who have been with them from the beginning and actively using their service, but its a reality.

But to conclude they are in trouble as a result of doing this, well thats just not accurate. I can see why one would think that, if the banking business was their primary line, but its not. Paypal vastly overshadows their banking services.

Compubank is vastly superior anyway.

William Walsh

17. Doris K.

OOoops! I failed to add....Banks who are in TROUBLE are dangerous places to keep your money. It is NOT SAFE. Unless you want FDIC to return your money to you whenever they get around to it, you'd better grab it NOW.

Did I mention that X.COM IS IN TROUBLE?

18. Doris K.

Sweetie, I don't know how long ago you began banking with X.Com, but they started the fickle business practices well before PayPal was even a brain fart. By the time they bought out PayPal, we had already seen more account and policy changes than we had seen changes of underwear.

It's been a roller coaster ride from the beginning. I can, however, understand why they would want to abandon a TROUBLED business for a more profitable one. Nonetheless, if they can't remain stable on their policies with PayPal, they'll leave themselves wide open for a competitor to come in and help euthanize it quickly. Those hard-nosed eBayers won't put up with the horseshit we X.Com customers took for one minute!

19. William Wa

William Wa Guest

I Disagree. I was with X.com from the start, and I don't agree with your assessment of their startup months.

In any event, there are better online banks, such as Compubank. The site posted on another thread here for Umbrellabank also looked like a decent bank. It's time to move on.

20. William Wa

William Wa Guest

And you base that they are in trouble on....financial reports? No. Based on the fact that they are discouraging customers they don't want to remain customers.

Sounds financially sound to me, even if it is annoying (annoying enough that I wrote a lengthy letter to them critical of their way of handling this).

When we get angry at a company it is always easy to overstate the case.