For Amex(optima secured ) card hol

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by newcomer2, Jul 12, 2001.

1. newcomer2

newcomer2 Member

Here is some interesting information for all Amex optima secured card holders. Today I called to cancil my Amex secured card which I had since 97. Since they havn't converted it to a non-secured card. while closing the account the rep said that i was pre aproved for the charge card and that that she would mail it out to me, all this with out generating a hard inquire. So i guess you could call them and check if your preaproved, but they never told me this until i decided to cancil . Hope this helps..
    Good luck everyone

2. making

making Well-Known Member

Do you know if this card reports with a secured notation and if they still offer it? I cant find it on their website

3. Genesisgrl

Genesisgrl Member

I inquired about a secured card. Here is the response I received on July 9, 2001 from support@service.americanexpress.com

"Thank you for your interest in a "secured" type of credit card.

At present, American Express does not offer this type of product. I am unable to advise you if or when we would consider offering a "secure" card in the future.

We do have a card called the 'Cobaltcard'. The Cobaltcard is a stored value payment card, or buying card. In order to use it, the Cobaltcard must first
    have funds "loaded" onto it. The Cobaltcard was designed to buy online and in stores, just about anywhere in the U.S. that the American Express Card is accepted, and at all ATMs in the U.S. that accept American Express Cards, without using cashor credit cards."

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

HOLY S*&%!!!!!!!!!

I AM BLOWN AWAY RIGHT NOW!!!! JUST CALLED UP AM/EX TO CANCEL MY SECURED OPTIMA CARD AND THE REP STATED THAT I WAS ALREADY PRE-APPROVED FOR EITHER GREEN OR GOLD CHARGE!!!! I COUDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!! HE SAID THAT I'VE BEEN A CUSTOMER FOR OVER A YEAR NOW, THAT I ALREADY CORP CHARGE AND THAT I USE TO BE A GOLD MEMEBER. HE WANTED TO KNOW WHY I DIDN'T HAVE GOLD ANYMORE. I EXPLAINED TO HIM THAT I WAS AN AU ON BOYFRIEND'S ACCOUNT AND WE BROKE UP. WE CHATTED SOME AND THEN HE VERIFIED MY INFORMATION AND ASKED ME WHAT CARD I WANTED (EITHER GREEN OR GOLD) AND I TOLD HIM THAT I LIKED THE BENIFITS OF THE GOLD. HE STATED THAT HE WOULD GET EVERYTHING SET UP AND SEND THE CARD OUT TO ME!!!!!! I ASKED HIM IF I SHOULD GO AHEAD AND CLOSE THE OPTIMA AND HE SAID TO WAIT UNTIL I RECEIVED THE GOLD....THEN CALL BACK AND CLOSE OPTIMA!!!!! HE ALSO DID NOT ASK ME FOR MY SSN AND STATED THAT NO INQUIRY WAS NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. making

making Well-Known Member

Re: HOLY S*&%!!!!!!!!!

Whoa! that kicks ass. Secured to a prestige card in only a phone call! Bummer about not being able to get the secured card anymore :( Hopefully in a year I can qualify for the green card or an optima.

6. newcomer2

newcomer2 Member

GOOD going !!! mp40 , I was just as shocked ! :) amex finally gave in !
    Goodluck.

7. river

river Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!!! I have always said all along that Amex is awsome and I already had it in my mind that SOMEDAY my secure Optima would go PRIME. Have had mine since October 2000. Opened with 200.00 and is now up to 2000.00. Congrats newcomes and MP$40.Hope to be UP there with you two soon. This is awsome and you will go PRIME from here out rgardless of your score or reports. The "BIG" card offers wil be flooding your mailboxes. I am so happy to hear this good news.