Watch-out!!!! Cap 1

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by supershawn, Aug 8, 2001.

1. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I just checked my on-line statement with Capital One to make sure my payment/payoff had posted and GUESS WHAT? There was a charge for 59.95 for PRIVACY GUARD!

I immediately called the 800 listed for Privacy Guard. The Rep, Janice, was very polite at first, but became very pushy. I asked why this charge was on my card as I NEVER ordered Privacy Guard. I live in Georgia and get a free copy of my reports monthly with NO inquiry (Yes, I know it says one a year, but the automated service lets one go every month, no problems so far- at least a year or more).

Well, she said to look on my statement beside the phone number and read me off the code. I did. She then told me that this was a SERVICE THAT CAPITAL ONE AUTHORIZED for my protection. WHAT? How can they put charges on my card without my permission?

I (politely) demanded that it be removed immediately. She went into her 'sales mode' that PRIVACY GUARD PROTECTS me from un-authorized usage of my card. I said "Thats funny, isn't that exactly what you just did to me?"

She creditied me the 59.95. I told her that I also wanted ANY and ALL Privacy Guard inquiries REMOVED from my report NOW and if I incurred interest charges from the card I want to be fully re-imbursed. She said she had no idea what I was talking about.

My next call is to Cap 1 to ream them a new one.

I can't believe this...CHECK YOUR STATEMENT!!!!!!

Shawn

2. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

OK- Called Cap 1.

Sadly, they wer not suprised and told me that 'Privacy Guard' is a partner subscription service (TELEMARKETER) and sometimes this happens. They noted my account and.........

(insert drumroll here)

UNSECURED MY ACCOUNT!!!!!!WOO-HOOOO!

It won't take effect until September 26 (HUH?) but they are sending me my 1049.00 security account balance plus interest. YAY!!!!

Check those statements!

Just say NO to Privacy Guard!

Shawn

3. Saar

Saar Banned

I can't believe Capital One has gone so low. They should be penalized by FTC or by class action suits. Even Providian stopped using this lame practice.

Saar

4. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Shawn for the heads up. I just checked my husband's account. Almost had a heart attack! There was a charge for $59.00 for...the annual membership fee for the card.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Who would pay $59.95 for PRIVACY GUARD...when VISA/MC give it (protection for unauthorized use) to you for FREE???