NanaC's Notions (Regarding State Laws)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Jun 7, 2002.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, I spent hours, yes hours, ok, maybe 2-3 minutes working on that subject line so be impressed, k?

I've got a couple of threads going discussing the use of the Attorney General and state laws regarding collection agencies and thought it might help if I wrote it up as a, well, sort of, a list of to-do's to try this stuff.

So, here ya' go........NanaC's Notions on State Law

1. Go to www.lawdog.com and find the appropriate state. Be sure to check for the state you live in and the state the CA is in. Look at the "debt collections" or "collection agency" link and see if that state has specific laws regarding CA's. (Note: If a state requires a third party bond, it should be posted here)

2. If there are no state laws, do a search for the attorney general in the states in questions, and find out how to file a consumer complaint. Then, file it with both states.

3. If there are licensing requirements, do a search for the attorney general in the state where licensing is required, and find out the status of the CA's license and whether they have violations previously handled. If necessary, email the state information link to find out how to get this information but it is usually on the website.

4. If there ar third party bond requirements, email the state information link and find out how to determine if one has been taken out for the CA in question. They usually give you the email of a nice, overworked person who gets back to you ASAP. (Hint: Make friends with this person..teehee)

5. If you find that the CA is operating illegally in any manner, send NanaC 3 million dollars. heehee. No, write a dispute to the CA and tell them "Nanny, nanny, poo-poo, I got you" in the most formal sense. Tell them you realize they are illegal and are planning on reporting them immediately to the authority overseeing them.

6. Watch the entry disappear. (I hope)

2. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Re: NanaC's Notions

This is great! Hey, Dave, doesn't this belong in the FAQ? :)

Oops, Nana, I think you got one thing wrong. Modify point 5 to read as follows:
    If you find that the CA is operating illegally in any manner, send PsychDoc 3 million dollars.

Other than that, this is obviously a keeper! :D

Doc

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

AHAHAHA....thanks, PsychDoc....

Um, I just noticed spelling errors in my original entry and I want you to know that I MEANT to do that...yes, I did...you see, I was, er, testing you to see if you could get this from context clues..yes, that's it...it's not that I made a mistake or anything...no, no sirree, no ma'am...uh, uh....

Yeah, right...LOL...sorry for the spelling mistakes. If this goes somewhere else for posting, would someone kindly fix the ar to are and anything else that is there so I don't look like a total dipchip?

Thanks! teehee

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I just LOVE seeing NanaC's name here. WooooHoooo How are you MrsC? Heeeeeeeey.

Doc (as usual) is correct, a truly Faq-worthy post...I will add it when I get home tonight.

Down in the West Texas town of ElPaso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl.

-Peace, Dave

PS "Persistence is the key" right NanaC?

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

NAVE, NAVE, NAVE!!!!!

Hello, my friend!!!

Yes, persistance and desperation.

Things are awesome here...summer time, no school, got a new job at the school I used to teach at set for next year, pool is warm......aw, yes! How are you?

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

bumping due to ongoing interest in state stuff

(technical term, lol)

7. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

Hi Nana!!!!!!!

Everyone should check there state stuff (I do love your sassy-ease with that technical term ;-) ).

I think it's important, really important, to check your own state's laws regulating both collection agencies and consumer reporting agencies -- the statutes.

Additionally, and maybe even more important, is to check your state's administrative code, I've found some real jewels there. This is where the code of conduct and specifics are listed for businesses that are regulated.

For instance, in Arizona, consumers can ask a CA for any relevant information at any time and have the right to inspect their books -- ties to AZ requiring a physical office. It also lists specific minimum information that must be disclosed to consumers, above and beyond the validation documentation.

Sassy

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

bump

9. Manequinne

Manequinne Well-Known Member

You are so right.

Until I found this board, I had no idea that the SOL for credit card debts in Louisiana was 3 years.
    (I've been lurking around the board for awhile).

I always thought they could sue you at anytime and collect.

That is one reason I never fought anything incorrect on my credit report. :(

It is so sad what people don't know about credit that hurts the most.

By the way, this is a great thread.

10. Manequinne

Manequinne Well-Known Member

I meant, I have been disputing, but nothing really big.

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

bump

Thought I'd send this back up as I just had hubby's long fought collection removed after following my own advice. Whew..this was a hard one but this worked so...up it goes.

12. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

bump

oops..duplicate...darn laptops

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

More tips:
    1. If they have a fax, you can save time by faxing. You can also add to your previous complaint.

2. Even if they don't give an official reprimand, admonishment, etc. to the CA, they may still come off.

14. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: NanaC's Notions - Dusted off

HI! Whoa..is this old..Ok, I'm going to dust this off and update it!

I recommend you follow these steps while your first round of disputes are processing at the CRAâ??s and/or you receive a notice from a CA that money is due. This is intended for Collection Agencies only!

Warning: DO NOT accept the word of the CA in this situation! Do NOT call them and ask them if they are legal/bonded/licensed! (I SUGGEST YOU NEVER CALL A CA FOR ANY REASON!) Find out for yourself if they are legal to operate as a CA in the state in question!

NanaC's Notions on State Law:

1. Go to www.lawdog.com and find the appropriate state(s). Be sure to check for the state you live in and the state the CA is in. Everything we discuss must be done twofold â?? in the state the â??debtorâ? (you) are located in and the state of the CA. Look at the "debt collections" or "collection agency" link and see if that state has specific laws regarding CA's.

2. The results under the link will either be:
    A. license required
    B. bond required
    C. both license or bond required
    D. nothing required

3. If a license is required, youâ??ll want to search and see if the CA in question has a valid license. Most states have an online license search. Youâ??ll find them usually by finding that stateâ??s attorney general website and looking for licensing. To find an attorney generalâ??s website, simply do a google search with the â??stateâ? and words â??attorney general,â? for instance, search â??Texas attorney general.â? If a license is not found, the CA is probably not legal to pursue you for collection activities. PRINT OUT THE PAGE SHOWING NO LICENSE!

4. Get the letter sent out (modified with your specifics) sent CRRR right away! Let me know if you need it posted.

5. If a bond is required, contact the person (in Texas, itâ??s the Secretary of State) and find out if the bond has been properly filed by the CA. In most cases, you can even email them and find out. If no bond is filed, ask the contact person for cerification of NO RECORD. For a small fee, they should send you a certified letter stating the CA has no bond on file. This likely makes them illegal to pursue collections against you.

6. Get the letter sent out (modified with your specifics) sent CRRR right away! Let me know if you need it posted.

7. If both a license and a bond are required, then do both #3 and #5 and send letter if appropriate with ALL violations!

8. If the state does not require licensing or a bond, do a search for the attorney general in the states in questions, and find out how to file a consumer complaint. Then, file it with the state.

9. However, I emphasize againâ?¦you usually have TWO states to work with: the state you reside in and the state where the CA is located. Follow the procedures completely for BOTH states.

10. If you find out the CA is licensed properly, find out if there is a CA regulating board in that state at the Attorney Generalâ??s website and file a complaint of violations by that CA. They will investigate your complaint and have the power to admonish (discipline) the CA. Often, this leads to deletion of the entry from your CR and the end of their collection activities against you. A word of warning: If you file a lawsuit, the regulating boards will likely not assist you further and it takes up to 45 days for a response!

11. If you find that the CA is operating illegally in any manner, send NanaC 10 million dollars for writing up this info. heehee.

12. Watch the entry disappear. (I hope)

15. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: NanaC's Notions - Dusted off

Some more thinking no this:

1. Warning: DO NOT accept the word of the CA in this situation! Do NOT call them and ask them if they are legal/bonded/licensed! (I SUGGEST YOU NEVER CALL A CA FOR ANY REASON!) Find out for yourself if they are legal to operate as a CA in the state in question!

2. Professional courtesy is one thing but I would not overexplain the situation to them. You don't owe them anything...they are ILLEGAL!!! They need to grab both CA butt cheeks and haul rear end away from you and their CA attempts.

3. There have been some questions about the validation w/state illegality letter and the reason I combined them....in my humble opinion and experience, by combining this, they get completely overwhelmed. First, you found them out, then you want them to put on paper their attempt to collect by a validation request? If they are stupid enough to send the validation request back in ANY form, you have proof of full-fledged collection activity! They are making your case stronger and stronger!

16. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

State-by-state quick guide

State By State Collection Agency Requirements
    A Quick Guide

Be sure to look up the state you reside in and the state the Collection Agency resides in and check for compliance in both states!

States Requiring Licensing, Registration, Exam, and/or Bond
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York in Buffalo and New York City
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oregon
    Puerto Rico
    South Carolina (not for CA, but business license is required)
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

States Requiring License Tax
    Alabama

No Bond or License Required
    District Of Columbia
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    Virginia

State Fair Collection Act in Place
    California

**Please if you notice anything I need to update, le me know!

17. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Wow, NanaC, this is great stuff!

Doc

18. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

::::::blushing::::::shuffling feet:::::::: awww, thanks, Doc...

I hope it helps..it sure helped us with some of those stubborn ones! Now, it's the first thing I check for myself or when I help someone else!

19. SLOYAROLE

SLOYAROLE Well-Known Member

If the consumers state requires the CA to be licensed AND bonded, some states allow for fines and penalties. Some state laws (including the one I live in) require both. On top of that, the law here ALSO holds the OC accountable for the CA not being licensed and bonded. Thus, being able to sue them as defendant and co-defendant. The state law allows for $$$ to be awarded to the consumer. Great work on this thread NanaC :)

20. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sloy and excellent info you added, as well!