Always Record Your Calls

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Butch, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Hi Gang,

For a measly 30 - 40 bux you can set up to record your calls. Radio Shack has all you need.

In some states it's legal and in others it's not. However I suggest you do it anyway, here's why;

If it is legal great - no problem.

In those states that are illegal you may still keep contemporaneous notes about your phone call. When necessary I can play back my phone call and transcribe the call to written form, WORD FOR WORD. There is NO law against your taking very accurate notes about your phone call.

Contemporaneous phone call notes are VERY valuable in court.

It'll be the best 40 bux you've ever spent - I promise.

:)

2. lyttlemac

lyttlemac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, Butch! What exactly doI ask for at Radio Shack? Are you talking digital recording devices? Is it complicated?

My new Panasonic digital telephone-answering machine has a built in record feature. All you have to do is push a button and it quietly records the conversation. Trouble is, it has a pretty short memory - about 3 minutes.

Thanks.

3. BigH

BigH Guest

Please check that your jurisdiction allows recording.
    You may find it may be more trouble than it's worth.

H

4. mindcrime2

mindcrime2 Well-Known Member

Where would you check to see if your state allows recording of phone conversations?

5. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

6. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

These states require 2 party consent.

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

So - DON'T TELL THEM YOU'RE RECORDING!

Other states are one party.

7. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

3 minutes won't cut it. You can buy a small cassette recorder for about $30 and what is called the "Telephone Reorder Control". ($10)

Model Number: 43-228A

VERY simple, just plug it in.

AND it's FCC compliant. LOLOL

8. mindcrime2

Butch,

If I'm in a two party consent state, and the CA is in a one party, for legal purposes (if I were to use the call as evidence in a lawsuit), would I be required to tell them I'm recording?

9. neosmatrix

neosmatrix Well-Known Member

Yes you would have to tell them your recording the conversation.... In one party states only you need to know....

10. mindcrime2

Okay, thanks for the info.

11. gib

gib Well-Known Member

I just love the recording "This call may be recorded for quality control purposes" or something similar. They have given their consent with that statement. They just told me it may be :)

Gib

12. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

If you ever have to go to court MC just walk in with a REAL NICE transcript. If they ask ... it's like ....

Oh no sir, I just take really great notes.

:)~

13. mindcrime2

LOL

I'll remember that.

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"ONE PARTY" CONCENT~~~YOU ARE THE ONE PARTY CONCENTING!!!

15. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Hey, as long as one of us is reasonable... ;)

BTW, I agree with gib. When they tell you the call may be recorded for "Quality Control" Purposes or whatever, I would submit that it is implied and understood by both parties that the call is being recorded. I'd say go for it at that point without notifying. Otherwise, I'd notify.

16. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Bump.

For Edoggies edification.

Using this technique I just received $1,000 for a NO PP inq.

Merry Christmas to me.

17. Dolly

Dolly Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that in California, there is a penal code (that's right, it is crime) if you record a person without their consent. On the other hand, consent may be implied if it is obvious they are being recorded and a reasonable person would have known as much --say, for example, you hear a beep at regular intervals or, as someone indicated earlier, that it is mentioned that the call is being recorded for quality control purposes.

I'm goin' bed but will check in tomorrow!!

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I said basically the same thing on another post...

Don't take the recording to court and COOK YOUR OWN GOOSE...just write everything on a note pad...you can even make some mistakes...his name is GREG or CRAIG...