Public record question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dquaid68, Jan 8, 2003.

1. dquaid68

dquaid68 New Member

Hello~
    I'm a newbie here and had a question about a public record that shows up on my credit report. Judgment was passed on May 1, 2000 on behalf of Providian through a law office in my home state. For approximately the last 7 months or so I have been sending payments to the law office (having been contacted by them last year and having worked out a payment plan). This being the case, is there any way to get this off of my credit report (since I'm making payments), or is it just stuck there? Also, it shows that liability is N/A and asset amount is N/A. What exactly does that mean?

Any help would be . . . well, helpful

D

2. batgirl

batgirl Active Member

I'm in the exact same boat! I hope someone responds! Damn Providian!!

batgirl

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

dquaid68
    liability is N/A --Sounds like they don't know who is responsible for paying it.

asset amount is N/A --Sounds like they don't know the value of your assets.

4. HawgHanner

HawgHanner Well-Known Member

Pay it off and then spend $150 on an attorney to have the decision vacated or do your own leg work to have the item deleted from the court records (a.k.a. vacating a judgement). Once it is vacated, send a letter to the TU, EX and/or EQ and notify them that judgement was vacated. They will tell you that they can't delete the item. Then explain to them the definition of the word "vacate," which is, "To annul; to make void; to deprive of force; to make of no authority or validity." And oh yeah, mention something about suing them if they don't delete it. Then they'll erase it.

Hawg Hanner

5. tnobles

tnobles Well-Known Member

Hawg, no need to explain all of that to the bureaus, they know that vacated means delete.

6. HawgHanner

Well, in my case it took 3 attempts to get them to delete it. They may not know the definition as well as you think.

Hawg Hanner

7. tnobles

I think they do. The best way to handle it is to send them CERTIFIED copies of the vacate to them and there should not be a problem.

8. tnobles

Simply sending them a letter saying it is vacated does not mean that it is, can you imagine how many people just send a letter and CLAIM that a judgment was vacated?

9. HawgHanner

I send everything certified. I don't know why we are having this discussion. My comments were based on my past experience, as are your comments. Please just take my word for it.

Hawg Hanner

10. tnobles

I am not talking about sending a letter certified, I am talking about sending a certified copy of the vacated judgment signed by a judge, certified by the court. That may be you're experience, but I will not take you're word for it b/c when I disputed a judgment vacated it was gone within a week. Sorry you had such a hard time. I do not know why.

11. HawgHanner

I DID send a copy of the order to vacate and they still did not delete it. Why is that so hard to believe? In case you haven't noticed, my argument is based on anecdotal evidence...and so is your argument. In fact, much of what we discuss here is anecdotal. There's no reason to have the last word in this discussion, but if you want it, go ahead.

Anxiously awaiting your reply...

Hawg Hanner

12. tnobles

You're funny. I must be coming off as argumentative today or something, this is twice someone has said there was an argument. It is not so hard to beleive, I said I did not know why they gave you such a hard time. But I guess here is my last word.

PS anxiously waiting YOU'Re reply. Don't get so defensive.

13. kathycmh

kathycmh Well-Known Member

If a person chooses to do the legwork themselves what would be the procedure? If I go to the courthouse would they be able to give me the document needed to file? Do you know if it has a particular name? Petition to vacate judgement?

Thanks in advance!