Judgement Reported Wrong

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by claymca, Jun 18, 2003.

1. claymca

claymca Well-Known Member

Hello I am new to this board. In the past two weeks I have visited about 10 diferent credit help forums and this on so seems to be the best. I have a question. My girlfriend is in the process of purchasing a condo. About a week ago she received a letter from a lawyer stating that they were going to garnish her wages if she did not settle a judgement.

The problem is the judgement was from 1996. And was reported as settled under the OC. Upon further investgation the judgement was not settled according to the court docket. It has not showed up on more current credit reports. She doesn't rember settling it, it was so long ago. The judgment stems from a car accident where her car was totaled out by the insurance company and only gave her bluebook value on the car. Of course that didn't pay off the loan.

what is he recourse? Settle? Or shold she had received some sort of notifaction that it was reported wrong? Or could her insurance company have sued the cited driver and payment was made to the OC and it was never reported to the courts or the collection agency? I know that's reaching. Because the Lawyer that has sent the garnishment letter is not the orginal lawyer that was working the case in 1996. Any help would be very helpful. As hse is in the closing stages of buying the condo. and time is running out. We are in Columbus, OH.

2. claymca

<bump>

3. claymca

<bump>

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Have you goten copies of the paper work from the franklin county court house?

5. claymca

Yes, just the docket.

6. lbrown59

looks like there was a foul up at the court house and the lawyer and or the OC is trying to get paid twice on this judgment.
    Who is the OC and what is the name if the CA?

7. claymca

OC: Credit Acceptance Corp
    CA: Carlile, Patchen, & Murphy LLP Attorneys at Law

8. lbrown59

Re: Re: Judgement Reported Wrong

You want copies of every paper there is about the judgment?

9. lbrown59

Send the validation letter to them?

10. claymca

Yes that would be a great help. The courthouse said it was so old that the records had been destroyed and all they had was the docket entries.

11. claymca

So a letter of validation should go to the CA?

12. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Judgement Reported Wrong

RITE

13. lbrown59

1* this one so seems to be the best.
    2* she received a letter from a lawyer stating that they were going to garnish her wages if she did not settle a judgment
    3* judgment was reported settled by the OC
    4* what is her recourse? Settle?
    5* Or should she had received some sort of notification that it was reported wrong?
    6* Or could her insurance company have sued the cited driver and payment was made to the OC ?
    =================
    claymca
    ===================
    1*IT IS.
    2*Looks like the lawyer is trying to collect on an already paid judgment.
    3*This is the end of story.
    4*She's been there done that why pay it again?
    5*Who says it was wrong?
    6*No because if they did that any payment would go to her insurance company.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """""""""```~~~```'"""""""""

14. lbrown59

1*The problem is the judgement was from 1996. And was reported as settled under the OC.
    2*Upon further investigation the judgment was not settled according to the court docket.
    3*shold she had received some sort of notification that it was reported wrong?
    4*Or could her insurance company have sued the cited driver and payment was made to the OCR and it was never reported to the courts or the collection
    5*Because the Lawyer that has sent the garnishment letter is not the original lawyer that was working the case in 1996.
    claymca
    ================
    1*If the OC says it's paid it is paid.Hang onto this information as that is your receipt that it's paid.
    2*I'd say that's due do an error in the court records.
    3*No,because it wasn't reported wrong.
    4*The settlement is what wasn't noted at the court.
    5*Due to this I'd bet the OC isn't even aware ot the collection attempts of this laywer.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """""""""```~~~```'"""""""""

15. claymca

So the credit report stating that the judgement is satisified is proof enough. And just wait for a response to the validation letter.

16. lbrown59

looks that way from here.

17. lbrown59

Yes that would be a great help. The courthouse said it was so old that the records had been destroyed and all they had was the docket entries
    claymca
    =======================
    If that's all they have then there is no judgment.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!

Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries.

You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal.

18. claymca

My girlfriend just received a reply to her letter of validation. The proof sent: A copy of the judgment. And a copy of the retail installmnet contract.
    Is this proof enough or is there more that should have been sent to her?

19. lbrown59

1*Is this proof enough
    2*The proof sent: A copy of the judgment.

claymca
    ============

1*Not to me it ain't!
    2*Who sent this to her?
    If it was the CA How did they obtain it from the court when the court told you The courthouse said it was so old that the records had been destroyed.
    -------------------------------------------------
    What she just got brings up more questions than it answered.
    I still think they are trying to collect on an already paid judgment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20. claymca

The lawyer sent it along with a copy of the retail installment contract. It seems like the CA kept a copy of the judgement for his records. And sent her a copy.