My Citibank Miracle!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marci, Mar 13, 2001.

1. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I just needed to share this with the board, as just another example
    of the invaluable advice, information and support offered here - for
    which I am so grateful.

I defaulted on a Citi card in 1997, resulting in a charged-off account.
    I paid the account in full in 1998 and recently disputed it with no luck.
    Wanting to escape "sub-prime hell" I looked wistfully at those of you
    who were getting the AAdvantage cards with spotted histories. I was
    told, "if you've ever burned Citibank, forget it.". Well, I took a chance,
    applied for the silver AA card, and - as anticipated - was denied for
    previous account history with Citibank.

After Flagirl reported her success below, I called Citibank credit dept,
    explained what had happened wrt the CO in 1997, and shamelessly
    begged for a second chance with Citibank. The supervisor agreed to
    override the automatic ban on my application, and allow it to process.
    Well, this morning a supervisor called me and said that I had been
    approved for a silver AA mastercard!!!!!!!

I never would have thought it could have happened, had it not been
    for this board. Thank you all so much.

Now I can read all the Citibank threads without feeling so guilty about
    squandering my relationship with them.

Thank God for second chances!!!

Marci

2. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

Now show them who's boss! :eek:)

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Congratulations!!

Thanks, mother2!!! I am so excited. I tried to upgrade to Plat Select today, but
    the reps told me that my card isn't in the system yet. As soon as I get this
    card, I will balance transfer from the horrible Household Bank and close
    that account.

:)

4. mother2

I'm looking fwd to graduating

one day soon!

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: I'm looking fwd to graduat

You will, mother2, you will. I'm now convinced that ANYONE, taking the proper credit
    management and credit repair steps, can escape from sub-prime hell.

Thanks for your support.

Marci

6. mother2

That's what friends are for!

You're Welcome. :eek:)

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Congrats

That's great Marci, I am so happy for you. I know others here couldn't get the card b/c of past problems with Citibank. Maybe this will give them a window to use:)
    Bravo!!

Mom

8. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mom!

Hey mom!

My goal, now that I have a new Citi card, is to convince them to delete the neg. entry on
    my reports (i.e. hurts my business relationship with Citi, etc...) and that would
    clear the way for me to get the AMEX.

Congratulations on your card success re AMEX. I knew you'd get it.

:)

Marci

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks Marci

Yes maybe after you have had the card for awhile and keep great payment history, you can try to work some magic again and have them remove it, you never know, you didn't think you had a chance in the first place right??

Thanks, yes I am soo excited about my Amex card, I now know my scores have HAD to improve. Building crediit takes time and patience.

Mom

10. mother2

How much time did it

take you to rebuild your credit?

11. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: How much time did it

I don't know if you're referring to me or Momof3, but I'll share my story.

I got two unsecured sub-prime cards in late 1998 with a history of 2 paid CO, 1 paid
    collection, 1 unpaid CO and 6 unpaid student loans in collections. I also got a car
    loan in late 1998 as well (the rates were sky-high). I then began student loan
    rehabilitation and faithfully paid my new accounts on time.

I didn't think much about credit repair until May 2000, when I applied for
    credit, and saw my report (this is the FIRST time I ever looked at a credit report).
    My report was merged with someone who had several medical judgements, and it
    showed the student loan collections and unpaid CO still outstanding. In July 2000
    I paid the CO ($90.00) without negotiating for deletion (I didn't know that
    I could). In September 2000, my student loans were up for rehab, and that's
    when I started reading this board. The student loan entries came off my credit
    reports, and I began calling each creditor who listed a paid CO or paid collection.

Every single creditor, except Citibank, agreed to remove the CO entry either out
    of mercy or b/c I demanded verification of my payment history, which they didn't
    have.

My first CRA dispute was in November 2000, and since then I have seen 12 of the
    13 accounts I disputed deleted from my reports. The last account, Citibank, still
    remains, but I hope to have that gone this year due to new account status with
    them.

Hope this answers your questions,

Marci

12. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I got the judgements removed immediately since it was obvious that my
    file was merged with a man's file and none of them belonged to me. That was in
    May 2000.

In every single case of a deletion, I talked directly with the creditor and had
    written agreement from the creditor for the deletion.

I was very blessed to have had things go so smoothly, so quickly.

13. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Marci - Congrats!!!

What telephone number did you contact Citibank at? I am in the same boat you were and would like to try using your strategy later on.

Thanks

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Here's my story as well. I starting building my credit in June 99, they only thing I had on my reports was an installment account with furniture company from 3/98.

I started with the Aria platinum card 5K, then received the Citi Platinum select 1K. I then managed to get other accounts Associates, Fidelity, Sears, Speigels, Target, Penney's, Lowes and Exxon went a little credit mad lol. I had balances on most cards not near max but I think that actually hurt me. I got my real scores back in October and they were bad 540-560. Since then I closed all of the above except Aria, Citi and Sears and I acquired the Citigold 11K in late October and now have the Amex green card.

I don't know what my true scores are now, but back in Oct Qspace was close to my true scores and now my Qpsacescore if 645, so I believe paying those cards off and closing them has helped me out alot.

Mom

15. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Jim

Jim,

Citibank customer service is 1-800-950-5114. The credit department whch handles approvals and denials is 1-301-733-5501. Call cus service and they will transfer you, so you don't have
    to pay long distance.

I applied online for the silver AA card, got the "needs further processing" answer and a week
    later got a denial letter. I called the 301 number, pressed 1 for "if your app was denied" and
    asked a rep to speak with a supervisor to request re-evaluation of my application. I said
    that I needed to "explain what happened in 1997". I got a supervisor, and cited my college
    immaturity and job problems as reasons why my account defaulted (all true). I stressed that I did pay promptly in full when Citibank asked me to, and that I would "give anything to have a
    second chance at re-establishing a business relationship with Citibank". I told her that I was
    fully aware of credit management and often discussed it and related matters on credit
    discussion boards. I told her that many good people, having learned their lessons re credit
    management, were desperately trying to escape "sub-prime hell" (she laughed) and that I was one of them. I tod her that many people had reported success with getting the AA cards. The supervisor looked at my account history and said that since it happened in 1997, she'd over-ride
    the automatic ban and allow it to process further. That was yesterday afternoon.

This morning another supervisor called with news of approval.

16. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks Marci

I just printed your story for my use later on. All the detail you provided was really appreciated.

17. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Marci

Had you paid off Citibank at all? if not, how much did they charge off as bad debt??? The above makes it sound as though it was charged off, then paid on time later.

Great job, by the way. Almost more fun to negotiate a credit line than to just get it automatically :)

18. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: Marci

Oh, just reread... paid off in 98.

Nevermind :)

19. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Jim

Re: I'm looking fwd to graduat
    Author: marci (138.26.48.---)
    Date: 03-13-01 09:27

. I'm now convinced that ANYONE, taking the proper credit
    management and credit repair steps, can escape from sub-prime hell Marci:============
    ==========================================
    Makes a lot of sense to charge a higher rate to those who can least afford it dosen't it? How ya gonna pay 18% if you can't payv 12%? A HOG otta have more sence than that _Right?

20. marci

marci Well-Known Member

LB

I agree that charging "at risk" people higher int. rates (translating into more money owed)
    seems backwards. But in credit-land, it isn't backwards.

The interest rates for "at-risk" borrowers is so high, that a company will make a profit
    even when the higher rates increase odds of default for some people. Why?

Because there are people like myself who, having learned our lessons, will do ANYTHING to
    maintain a good payment history - and we are the ones who pay the extra costs of default
    for the people who aren't able to pay in our "group". The companies make money in the
    end from sub-primers who are very responsible. We're paying for the people who don't
    meet their obligations.

Marci