Need help - can't answer the phone

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by pammywammy, Jan 4, 2002.

1. pammywammy

pammywammy Member

Hi, I'm new here. I'm hoping someone can help me. I haven't been able to answer my phone for the last year. I'm SO SICK of the collection agency calls!!! I haven't been able to pay on my debts for about 1-1/2 yrs because of illness. My credit report says the debts have been charged off, but I get calls EVERY DAY from those ?!@# collection agencies. I can't pay them until I get my mortgage caught up from being 5 mos behind and get back to work full-time. Is there any way to get them to stop calling me? I remember something about sending them a letter....TIA!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"WHO'S CALLING??? I will tell HIM/HER you called, give me your name and phone number".

GET CALLER ID + CALL REJECTION...PRESS *77 NO PRIVATE NAME/PRIVATE NUMBER CALLS EVER...and type the phone # they gave you in the CALL REJECT program...

WILL HELP SOME...

3. pammywammy

pammywammy Member

I do that - tell them "She's not home right now". They laugh. I swear to them I'm actually my sister! I have caller ID, but I'm just sick of it!

4. ng

ng Well-Known Member

Radioshack has a tel-zapper it is supposed to work for telemarketing calls.

Change your phone number have it unlisted.

5. superadman

superadman Banned

All you have to do is say "Don't ever call me at this number anymore, cease all further communications at this number" pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Act

6. rutheena

rutheena Active Member

There are laws regarding how often and what time of day they are allowed to call. I don't remember exactly what they are, but if I remember correctly, they can only call once or twice within a 7 day period and between certain hours of the day.....I don't think it is past 8pm or before 7am.

you could do a search on the net to find a site that will list the exact terms that all creditors and collection agencies must abide by. This is a FEDERAL law, so don't let them tell you that they don't have to follow that because they are in CA for instance and you live in MI or someplace. It doesn't matter where they are or you are.

Keep a log book of what time and date they called and who you spoke with. If it exceeds the law limit, tell them you are reporting them.

Trust me...it works! Been there. Sooner or later the calls will dwindle off if you keep them to the law. and make it known you have been tracking the calls. If they call you over the limit....tell them that they have violated the law and you will not speak to them. Make sure you have the facts straight first though. You can get a fact sheet from your local consumer credit agency. It outlines everything in detail for you.

I used to do collections at a previous job and alot of it is intimidation and if the person does not know the law, it is very easy to walk all over them.

7. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

8. pammywammy

pammywammy Member

Thank you, thank you. I'll send them a letter. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will also keep a log if they call afterwards.

9. rutheena

rutheena Active Member

Another good way is to answer the phone as someone else....(you can always tell if it is a creditor calling) and then when they ask for you, tell them you moved. they will ask if you have any info...tell them you don't know where you moved to and to remove this number as a contact. This works also...I've done this too. LOL

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Send the letter certified return receipt requested.

If it's not in writing it doesn't exist. And if you don't have proof they received the letter they'll say they didn't.

As for the calls in the interim:

Hmmmm. Let's have some fun, shall we :)

Act like you have alzheimers. "What was your name? who are you again? You're from my high school class reunion right :)"

"What are you wearing? that's sexy."

"So, what went wrong with your life that you call people and try to harass them for money. How sad for you. You must really be depressed. Every time you call someone, look at your phone, sit at your desk, you must think how horrible your life is and how it's only going to get worse"

Ramble. and I mean ramble. Baseball scores, weather, don't acknowledge one thing they say. not ever.

Do they have an 800#? Call them. Every 15 minutes. Ask for the person in charge of your account. tell them you really like them and just called to talk. you have no friends and since you're about to go to prison you'd "just like to talk to someone like them.. someone who really cares about you. Hey, would you like to meet?"

Or, do what I did. I disconnected my phone. Got a cell phone in the name of a friend (with their permission). No phone no calls.

Or you could learn your rights and make money off this. they never follow the law. You can make an easy 1k off each one I'd bet. they are stupid and arrogant and they violate the FDCPA and the FCRA all the time.

11. pammywammy

pammywammy Member

What fun!!!

What's this about making money off them? I want to do that!! How does that work?

12. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

well, I'll let others chime in on debt collector violations because it's been too long ago for me :)

But there are things they're not allowed to do... and they do them all the time.

If I were you, I'd start by reading the Fair debt collections practices act and the fair credit reporting act. then I'd read a book or 2.

and see if your state has some regulations of their own...

then watch your rights get violated.

I do agree that a cease and desist may be the way.

13. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

14. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I talk to dirty to the peepz calling me, some really foul pervy stuff and they never called me back.. if you'd like some tips on what to say just ask :)

15. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Re: Need help - can't answer the ph

Marie,

You are too funny! What great ideas...Almost makes me wish for a call....

16. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

And oh yeah...another way to answer the fone until you change the number:

Irate Asian accent:

HED-DOOO, Laydee...she no lee-uh hee-uh. I call police on u. Dis is not huh numbah. I have dis numba since two days..Dis is the Yoo house...like Yoo got da wong numbah...LOL!!!

Humor will help you get thru this!

17. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

ROFLMFAO!!!

You guys should start a thread about this in the general forum. Where everyone could add their experience with this. hehehe

18. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

Just baaaaaaa like a sheep :) Sooner or later they'll get the hint.
    KHM

19. pammywammy

pammywammy Member

You guys are too cool! Thanks!

20. Christi

Christi Well-Known Member

I usually say "she's out in the yard let me get her" then sit the phone down for like 5 minutes, they will still be there so I say she's coming hang on. I do this about 3 times (they are stupid and wait) then I pick up the phone and say "this is Mary" and they I was asking for Ms. Jones and then I say "oh she moved last week". Repeat as necessary and they fall for it everytime.