Here she is...Nutcase 4 Unpaid Coll

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by robin, Nov 14, 2002.

1. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Just in case you didn't see it in the other post, here she is... Share your thoughts and feel free to add your input. I think this will be a valuable resource to us all in our arsenal....

Well I believe since I have gotten so much from this board now it's time to give a little. All input is greatly appreciated as I am sure it could use a little tweaking:

Date

Name of creditor/collector
    State Zip

To whom it may concern:

It has come to my attention that you have placed a derogatory mark on my credit bureau reports. I am hereby informing you that your listing is inaccurate and your claim is disputed. I am demanding that you delete this derogatory listing immediately and provide me with proof of such deletion at the address listed herein. Further, I am lawfully requesting for my records, a notarized statement by a person with original knowledge of the alleged debt as it was constituted and who can testify to the manner in which the alleged debt was incurred.

Please be aware, that should you choose to ignore my demand, I can only assume that you are a willing party to and that you are further aiding and abetting Identity Theft. As such, and as a last recourse to resolve this matter, I will have no other recourse but to immediately file suit against your company in an effort to bring this matter to closure.

Should you doubt that I have sufficient cause of action to do so, please see as follows:

18 U.S.C Sec. 1028. - Fraud and related activity in connection with identification documents and information
    (a)
    Whoever, in a circumstance described in subsection (c) of this section -
    (7)
    knowingly transfers or uses, without lawful authority, a means of identification of another person with the intent to commit, or to aid or abet, any unlawful activity that constitutes a violation of Federal law, or that constitutes a felony under any applicable State or local law;
    shall be punished as provided in subsection (b) of this section.
    (b)
    The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) of this section is -
    (1)
    except as provided in paragraphs (3) and (4), a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 15 years, or both, if the offense is â??

(D)
    an offense under paragraph (7) of such subsection that involves the transfer or use of 1 or more means of identification if, as a result of the offense, any individual committing the offense obtains anything of value aggregating $1,000 or more during any 1-year period;
    (2)
    except as provided in paragraphs (3) and (4), a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than three years, or both, if the offense is -
    (A)
    any other production, transfer, or use of a means of identification, an identification document, or a false identification document; or
    c)
    The circumstance referred to in subsection (a) of this section is that â??
    (2)
    the offense is an offense under subsection (a)(4) of this section; or
    (3)
    either -
    (A)
    the production, transfer, possession, or use prohibited by this section is in or affects interstate or foreign commerce, including the transfer of a document by electronic means; or
    (B)
    the means of identification, identification document, false identification document, or document-making implement is transported in the mail in the course of the production, transfer, possession, or use prohibited by this section.
    The Fair Credit Reporting Act, section 623
    1. Responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies [15 U.S.C. 1681s-2]:
    (a) Duty of furnishers of information to provide accurate information
    (1) Prohibition.
    (A) Reporting information with actual knowledge of errors. A person shall not furnish any information relating to a consumer to any consumer reporting agency if the person knows or consciously avoids knowing that the information is inaccurate.
    (B) Reporting information after notice and confirmation of errors. A person shall not furnish information relating to a consumer to any consumer reporting agency if
    (i) the person has been notified by the consumer, at the address specified for the person such notices, that specific information is inaccurate; and
    (ii) the information is in fact inaccurate.
    (2) Duty to correct and update information. A person who
    (A) regularly and in the ordinary course of business furnishes information to one or more consumer reporting agencies about the persons transactions or experiences with any consumer; and
    (B) has furnished to a consumer reporting agency information that the person determines is not complete or accurate, shall promptly notify the consumer reporting agency of that determination and provide to the agency any corrections to that information, or any additional information, that is necessary to make the information provided by the person to the agency complete and accurate and shall not thereafter furnish to the agency any of the information that remains not complete or accurate.
    b) Duties of furnishers of information upon notice of dispute.
    (1) In general. After receiving notice pursuant to section 611(a)(2) [§ 1681i] of a dispute with regard to the completeness or accuracy of any information provided by a person to a consumer reporting agency, the person shall

(A) conduct an investigation with respect to the disputed information;
    (B) review all relevant information provided by the consumer reporting agency pursuant to section 611(a)(2) [§ 1681i];
    (C) report the results of the investigation to the consumer reporting agency; and
    (D) if the investigation finds that the information is incomplete or inaccurate, report those results to all other consumer reporting agencies to which the person furnished the information and that compile and maintain files on consumers on a nationwide basis.
    (2) Deadline. A person shall complete all investigations, reviews, and reports required under paragraph (1) regarding information provided by the person to a consumer reporting agency, before the expiration of the period under section 611(a)(1) [§ 1681i] within which the consumer reporting agency is required to complete actions required by that section regarding that information.

2. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 616. Civil liability for willful noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681n], (a) In general. Any person who willfully fails to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of (1) (A) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or damages of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000, (2) such amount of punitive damages as the court may allow; and (3) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.

3. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 617. Civil liability for negligent noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681o]
    (a) In general. Any person who is negligent in failing to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of
    (1) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure;

(2) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.
    While I am sure that you realize that the judicial system is in place to provide resolution in cases such as this and where none can be met independently between the parties involved, the reality of the situation is that going to court is an expensive, exhaustive and time consuming endeavor for everyone involved. However, please do not mistake my intentions, if this account is not deleted forthwith I will not hesitate to immediately file suit against your company in an effort to clear my good name and restore my character. Please be further advised that there will be no further negotiations regarding this matter, should you choose not to delete your derogatory tradelines from my credit reports with the three major credit reporting agencies, I will proceed with this matter in court where you will be held to the full letter of the law as described herein.
    Please note, you have (30) days from the tracked and confirmed date of receipt of this letter to delete your inaccurate and derogatory tradelines from my credit reports with the three major credit reporting agencies and to send me a copy of the Uniform Data Form you submitted to the credit reporting agencies for my records.
    For the purposes of 15 USC 1692 et seq., this Notice has the same effect as a dispute to the validity of the alleged debt and a dispute to the validity of your claims. This notice is an attempt to correct your records, and any information received from you will be collected as evidence should any further action become necessary.
    Thank you and I look forward to the resolution of this matter most expeditiously.

2. robin

robin Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what to think by the lack of responses. Actually humblemarc did respond to the letter on the other thread. However, since I can't get any input I will try it out and tell you how it all went in about 30 days.

3. trout

trout Well-Known Member

It is beautiful!

4. UNLV34

UNLV34 Well-Known Member

Hey Robin,

Great letter!!! Very well written. It is a different approach than validation letter and is worth a try. I will wait for your results. Keep up the great work and good luck during CHOD.

UNLV34

5. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. What I do want to make clear is that this letter is somewhat different from the nutcase in that it is intended as a tool to be used in court if it ever gets there. That's part of the beauty of it. You are clearly affirming that you are a victim, that they the collector/creditor have already enabled your victimization by issuing the card and by to continuing to report they are further aiding and abetting Identity Theft. The documents requested as in the nutcase is great for you to have but likely they will just delete rather than go through the trouble of finding out what this nutcase/victim/person who is willing to go to the end of the earth to protect their character will do in court. You are establishing right from the start that you are not Mr/Mrs Naive consumer. You want to appear that you are an angry victim and have had it up to there with this crap. Overall I think this letter will accomplish its goal and we really needed a Nutcase for unpaid collections. Please let me know your thoughts and if there is anything that should be tweaked to make the letter more effective.

6. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Re: Here she is...Nutcase 4 Unpaid

Way to go, Robin!

Doc

7. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Now I now I can send it out. I got confirmation from the originator of the "Original Nutcase". Thank you Doc!

8. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

robin,

thanks for the letter.. that looks good. i am going to use that and send copies of my police report with the letter. thx

9. islandboy

islandboy Well-Known Member

robin,

As many others havve said before me, this is a very good letter.

Is this a letter you will sending to a CA that you have used the traditional validation letter with before? Or is this a new CA you are dealing with?

10. robin

robin Well-Known Member

This letter can be used with anyone who is currently reporting an unpaid debt on your credit report. It can be used after you have requested traditional validation. However, if you plan on using this letter I would send it first. It is designed to bring quick resolution to the matter or at the very least skip the small stuff and get right into the thick of things saving you a ton of time. I will be using this with an OC whom I had requested verification of a debt that they are listing on my credit report and heard nothing from them. The frame of mind and the stance you are taking when sending this letter is (a) I was likely a victim of Identity Theft
    (B) You enabled this Identity Theft by issuing this account and or allowing these charges to go through.
    (C) You continue to aid and abet this Identity Theft by reporting it to the credit bureaus as being my account
    (C) I am mad as hell and I know my rights and I'll stop at nothing to restore my good name.
    (D) I will not hesitate to drag you through a very lengthy and expensive lawsuit if that's what it will take to clear my name.

11. humblemarc

humblemarc Well-Known Member

ok Robin,
    i have a guinea pig for you. We're gonna try out your letter for an unpaid chargeoff to an OC! via planetfeedback.com and usps. I'll post results asap.

12. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a great tactic. Filing a charge of identity theft with the police would be a very simple thing to do: "Officer, this collection agency is attempting to collect this debt. I never incurred this debt. I am a victim of identity fraud, and I want to file a police report." Once done, the copy of the police report would be a fairly powerful document. VERY interesting development.

Doc

13. humblemarc

Yes, in fact, in CO. CRAs have to delete accounts when supplied with a police report within 30 days or are can be sued for $1,000 per day or actual damages, whichever is greater.

14. vixen

vixen Well-Known Member

What other states does that law apply to? Only CO. I'm moving there.. LOL

15. humblemarc

Ok Robin,
    Some results are in. Your (the) unpaid nutcase letter (via planetfeedback) resulted in the OC putting the "consumer disputes the account" notation on the CR. However, the OC validation/estoppel/intent to sue letters had NOT achieved this effect. So at least it rattled somebody.

on the other hand it could have been the cumulative effect of those letters.
    I still believe it is effective as a FIRST letter, nonetheless.
    we are also trying to CHOD it, now that the OC has recieved the letter, so maybe that will enhance the effectiveness of the letter as well.

16. BLONDENITA

BLONDENITA Active Member

Originally posted by Ender
    send copies of my police report with the letter

Ok I am just wondering, if you file a police report for this what are the odds that should they be able to prove the account was indeed yours and the charges were made by you, could you be charged with filing a false police report??

17. rblues

rblues Well-Known Member

I agree...you are definitely taking a risk if you are not actually a victim of identity fraud and you file a police report. I've actually had a CA provide proper validation (a one time thing, but still...) and if I had filed a false police report and signed their little affadavit form, I could have been in hot water.

This could get a little sticky. Until we talk about the police report thing, I think that posters should put that on hold. If you are actually a victim of identity theft, it would be great tool to get the information off, but if you aren't, it could really come back to bite you in the butt.

18. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Doc, this has been very effective for me in getting the point across to them. A copy of a police report, affadavit, and intent to sue letter combination has fast escalation results.

19. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Absolutely - I agree.. I am by no means encouraging those that are NOT victims to use this process.

20. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Then your butt is in HUGE trouble, and I mean HUGE!