Can a creditor do this

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mbeutler, Jul 22, 2004.

1. mbeutler

mbeutler Member

I have a bill for $126.00 that was from 2000 to SBC. It went to collections and is reported on all three credit reports once. All with the same account number and balance due.

I have been getting alerts this month with some information on public records.

Here is the info...
    7/21/2004 (Alert Date) CFC FINANCIAL LLC $126.00 6/19/2004(Filed Date) Collections

7/17/2004 (Alert Date) CFC FINANCIAL LLC $122.00 9/12/2003 (Filed Date) Collections

7/6/2004 (Alert Date) CFC FINANCIAL LLC $126.00 6/19/2004 (Filed Date)Collections

Please advise me on what is going on!

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Looks like they sued you and got a judgment on you.
    Better trot right on down to the court house and get all the paper work on it pronto/

3. mbeutler

mbeutler Member

How do I know what courthouse to go to? I have lived at one city in Illinois last summer, and 3 other cities in Wisconsin since this balance went to a collector.

I am mainly confused as to why I was sued 3 times!

4. lbrown59

Re: Re: Can a creditor do this

3 cities in Wisconsin 3 suits 3 judgments.

5. mbeutler

mbeutler Member

lbrown59. here is my question then...

Was I supposed to get a phone call, mail, or any other type of notice? I have been totally blindsided!

6. lbrown59

I mainly am confused on why I was sued 3 times!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I noticed that after I replied to you.
    Looks like it could be 3 judgments instead of only one.

Better check it out at all 4 courts.
    It's starting to appear that there are 3 judgments at 3 different courts all for the same one debt.

If you don't get it straightened out it means you will have tp pay the 126 bucks 3 times not to mention your credit is hosed for the next ten years and you get to pay hundreds maybe even thousands more for loans and insurance during that 10 years.

7. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Can a creditor do this

Yes, you were but to many times it don't happen and they get a default judgment against you that way.

You have just stumbled into the very reason I am against default judgments and why I say out law them .

8. mbeutler

mbeutler Member

Lbrown59...

So my first step is to go to the courts that these were filed at. Is there an easy way for me to check and see what courts these were filed at exactly.

Secondly, is there a way to get this Collector to stop filing this collection. Are they legally allowed to sue me and make me pay 3 times more than I should be?

9. mbeutler

mbeutler Member

Here is a little more information.

I have called the county courts in the areas that I lived and non of them show my name in any case at all. How can I do anythign about this if the courts that are reporting this "public record" have no record of it at all?

10. furtik

furtik Well-Known Member

I have the exact same thing on my credit report for a account I had in Michigan. I now live in Virginia, so how can I get the information on the judgement? Will they send it to me if I call or would I have to write the courthouse asking for copies?

Thanks for any help in this matter,

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Who are you getting the alerts from? A credit monitoring service? If so, contact them and ask them who is reporting it. Say you don't know anything about it (true) and need to know who is reporting it so that you can get to the bottom of it.

12. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of posters reporting that 'collection accounts' have somehow made their way onto the 'public records' section of their credit reports when they are monitoring them.

No idea whether this is some bizarre oddity, but it just seemed to start happening a few weeks ago. My best guess is that when one of the CRA's updated their report format, the report monitoring service wasn't made aware of the changes.

As was suggested, I would ask the monitoring service which report these 'public records' are reporting on, and then get the official report so you can find out for sure.

The official report should list which court the 'public record' is with, so you can take it from there.

13. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a creditor do this

as long as they can keep getting default judgments they can make you pay for each one the sky's the limit.

14. karey

karey New Member

I'm not so sure this reporting is an accident. MEDCLR/NCO and City Financial both have agreements with the big 3 to report as tradelines and not collections. We got an agent at NCO to spill the beans -"she said the damage to the credit reports is soo bad that people come begging them to pay" She said it is a very efficiant way to collect on money owed. Ms. Gholar with CSC credit services(Equifax Aff) supported the fact that there was an agreement with these two CA's in place and there was nothing we can do about it. We are turned down daily for credit due to current 120day late payments from both of these paid collections from years ago and no one can help us. I have a strong feeling that since they have been able to get away with reporting in the tradelines then how much more devastating to the fico scores than reporting as a public record?? I don't know this for fact but if I speed-there is a cop waiting to give me a ticket.. can someone please tell me who makes these people follow the law????

15. lbrown59

A lot of questions answered here.

NEW MEMBERS READ THIS.
    http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243
    http://www.send4fun.com/telephone.htm
    >

16. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Regarding NCO's practices, see:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/05/ncogroup.htm

It appears they got nailed for posting tradelines as currently delinquent, and not sending the (older) actual date of delinquency. It also appears they agreed to stop doing this, and keep records to allow FTC to verify compliance.