AOL Collections?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by boomer, Mar 16, 2002.

1. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

I stopped closed a bank account with one bank and switched to another bank last year. I was signed up with AOL and forgot that they were hitting me about $19.95 a month as I don't use aol anymore.

Now I get a FINAL NOTICE that says they will refer me to a Nationwide National Collection Agency if they don't get my $150.00. that I supposedly owe. Has anyone ever heard of them following through? I don't need a collection.

I am going to dispute the total with them but don't want a hit on my CR if they won't play ball.

Thx.
    Boomer

2. lg

lg Well-Known Member

tell them you tried to cancel and they kept taking your money from the account. thats why u closed the account.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"I canceled on-line...if you never got the info, it's my fault? I DON'T THINK SO"

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey BVoomer - call their billing customer service and tell them the same message. You can tell them that you did not use the account - they can tell if you logged on or not - just like the phone company.

later - dogman

5. lg

lg Well-Known Member

dogman is right they can tell if you used the account.....

6. Calmest_LA

Calmest_LA Well-Known Member

You cannot cancel AOL online. You must call the cancellation department. If you never canceled your account, then you do owe the subscription fee. Not paying your AOL account is equivalent to not disconnecting your telephone line when you move. You still have to pay the phone bill whether or not you used the phone.

Calmest_LA

7. Dancer

Dancer Well-Known Member

I called AOL about them charging me without an account and was very polite to them. They told me it was not one but two months worth of Bills and they VOLUNTEERED to refund the money.

Whoda' thunk?

8. mindcrime2

mindcrime2 Well-Known Member

Funny how you can sign up online, yet you can't cancel online.