Denied Amex??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Slayer, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

I applied last night online for Amex blue, and got the message "sorry we are unable to approve your application at this time. You will be hearing from us in 7-10 business days..."

wtf!!?? Does that mean I'm denied?? Does anyone have the number to check status?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SOUNDS LIKE INSTANT DENIED...

1-800-962-7227 (8AM-9PM NEW YORK TIME)

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have NEVER seen a INSTANT DENIED...DENIED they usually say we will contact you in 30 days...7-10 days is USUALLY APPROVED...(but then there is always exceptions)...

4. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

this sucks!
    i called and got the automated system. punched in my ss#, it said your application is being processed, you will hear in 9 days. Sounds like a denial. Bummer. I wonder what the b.s. denial reason will be. My scores are outstanding and no baddies. This is gonna bug me for 9 more days!!

5. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

Thanks George...I feel a little better now!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

COULD ALSO BE A MALFUNCTION!?!?!?!?

7. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

I hope so! I did apply pretty late at night, so maybe that's a possibility. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

EQ 756
    EX 791
    TU 831

8. Mark LA

Mark LA Well-Known Member

slayer - with those scores I'm sure you're gonna be approved. I got a Blue last year with lower scores

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

BT IS DOWN...APPLICATIONS COULD HAVE BEEN DOWN ALSO...(partially)

It had to ACCEPT it...but it DIDN'T process it...

10. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Slayer,
    I applied last Saturday and received the 7-10 day message. I checked on Sunday and received denial. Spoke to AMEX rep and I was denied because of a 1996 paid chargeoff ($118).Their system picked up a 'verified date' of 7/2001 off my EQ. I tried to dispute this account wirh EQ earlier as "not mine". This backfired so never dispute old chargeoffs. They don't go by DLA. Also my debt to 'credit available' ratio was 42%. They don't like anything above 40%.
    Disputing old derogs is not the way to go unless they get removed. If they verify the account as valid you get a new re-aged account!!! I told them this was illegal and they said to take it up with EQ because they don't care? Called EQ. they verified it on 7/2001 and its not their problem that AMEX looks at the verified date and takes it as date of last activity. They said to take this concern up with AMEX because its not their problem..and yes... they don't care either.

11. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

Tommyy,
    thanks for sharing your experiences regarding AMEX. I don't have any negatives on any of the 3 reports, no lates, charge offs, nothing. The most inquiries I have is 2 on EQ. Almost 2 dozen positive accounts. And available credit is 100% ($30k total). I'm wondering, maybe they get a different CR than us, and can actually see that I bk'd?? If I am indeed denied, then that's the only logical explanation I can think of.

12. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

Mark, I hope you're right, but I won't believe I have the card in my hand! The only problem with my reports is that I have no prime lenders for, C1 is the only thing close to prime. I read somewhere that prime lenders actually look to see if "other" prime lenders have extended you credit before they take the first chance on you. Maybe that could be a factor?

13. wolverine

wolverine Well-Known Member

Call 800-641-2400. Punch in your ss#. After you get the message about having 10-9-8-7... days until a decision will be reached, dial 0 for a rep and you might be able to get a manual review and decision on the spot. Worked for me a couple of months ago.

14. Slayer

Slayer Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice, Wolverine! I think I'll wait a couple more days, then I'll give it a try. If I do that right now, they might think I'm desparately seeking new credit.

Btw, did you get that same 7-10 day message when you applied?

15. IndyGreg

IndyGreg Well-Known Member

I also got the 7-10 day message a couple of months ago when I applied. In my case, the problem was that the address on my EFX report did not exactly match the address on my application (i.e. EFX had my address wrong.) When I called the number and faxed docs confirming my address, I was approved.

Greg

16. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Yep, AMEX rep told me last week that c/o or collections within the last 3 years is automatic denial.

17. matt_r

matt_r Well-Known Member

That's funny because I had the EXACT same situation with AmEx when I applied a couple weeks ago. I was denied because of two collection accounts from 5 or 6 years back that were verifed in April and they took the verified date to be the DOLA. I tried explaining to the rep that this is NOT the DOLA, but she didn't really care. I didn't go as far as calling EQ because I already knew they didn't care either. :-/