american general finance

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by hopfl4hse, Aug 3, 2002.

1. hopfl4hse

hopfl4hse Member

anyone know anything about american general finace? I am thinking about getting a loan with them. how tough are they on credit scores? anyone ever have any trouble with them? Anyone know anything bad that I should know before applying? Am I wasting my time!?!?!?!?

2. picantel

picantel Well-Known Member

They will charge you 24.99 % interest. I think I had like around 630 TU score when I got the loan. Also, when the loan hits it will damage your score badly(lost 16 points). Finally, they will probably secure it with goods and will ask you what stuffies you have. Then your credit report will show that it is a secured collateral loan. All in all, the whole process sucks and I wish I had not done it now.

3. Kagee

Kagee New Member

I didn't have a good experience with AG. My husband secured a loan, without my knowledge, and I was on the verge of loosing my "stuff" that he used for collateral.
    When I called and requested a final statement showing the loan was PIF, I received a handwritten note, in red marker no less!
    Also, when I called to get the balance to pay it off, I was told one amount then received a statement for an additional $900. I fought the charge and did not have to pay it, but it was a huge hassle.
    I wouldn't advise using AG.

4. willall

willall Well-Known Member

My experience with AG was ok. My wife took out small car title loan. The interest was high since it was a less than 5,000 dollar. One thing that was ok was that I/we fell behind by over 30 days paying on it & when I pulled my reports theny never reported late & now is payed in full & one of the good marks on my reports

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Only use them if you desperately need money. AGF is a finance company and finance company installment loans (even when paid on time) will actually decrease your fico score.

also, their interest is high and penalties are exhorbidant... so unless they're your only hope in a hopeless situation... from both a financial and a credit standpoint.. if you can do without them then do just that.

6. Manequinne

Manequinne Well-Known Member

There is a woman in our city who sued American General because her husband was able to re-finance their home without her signature.

The loan officer admitted he wanted so badly to make the loan that he let the husband sign her name.

The judge dismissed the case because:

1. She admitted she was home when the man came over to take pictures of the home, but she claimed she didn't know why he was there.

2. She refuses to press charges against her husband for fraud, even though he signed her name to a loan document.

3. Didn't she notice her husband had ALOT of money, and their bills were mysteriously paid off?

4. Where was she when she and her husband went on the 3 week cruise, and it was paid for with CASH?

Funny how some things get out of control when people start to scheme, and it grows............

7. Kagee

Kagee New Member

Thankfully this wasn't a huge loan, but that still doesn't make it any better.
    I found out about the loan when a woman from AG's local office called and left a message. When I returned the call I was told there wasn't anyone there by that name. This guy also told me that there weren't any women who worked there. I called the next day and a woman answered but swore she didn't leave a message at my home.
    So, as you can tell, they were aware that this loan was secured dishonestly. It's probably why they didn't fight for the extra $900.
    Live and learn.