They are CLUELESS at JC Penney!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tracyb0313, Aug 13, 2002.

1. tracyb0313

tracyb0313 Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone w/ someone in the credit dept. She said she was a supervisor. I'm truly frightened now. She didn't have a clue. She told me that they definately have to check all 3 reports for a CL increase, but it's not the same kind of inquiry as the one you get when you get a new card. I asked her if it was a soft inquiry. She said that she didn't know what I was talking about, but it was a different rating than a new account inquiry. I tried to explain it to her, but she told me that What I was doing was very sneaky, and unethical, and I was trying to beat the system! WHAT?? She said that I'm trying to get something for nothing. I laughed and told her that, no I'm not, I just think a CL increase thru Penneys isn't worth effecting my FICO. She told me that if I were to go for a mortgage, they may not even look at that information, and that they only report to the 3 major CRA's, so a mortgage co. may not even see it.She said that they use a tri-merge report, that isn't as up to date as any that Penneys uses. This woman sounded like Penneys was the center of the universe! I had to laugh. I told her that a major CC co. has the ability to increase a CL without destroying a FICO, and that it's done all the time. It's not illegal, and I'm not trying to beat the system. I said that this is info. that would be good for her to know, the dif. between a hard and soft inquiry. I had to try to explain FICO to her, and how inq. effect them. She had no clue as to what I was talking about, and she's supposedly the head of the dept. I laughed at her (rude I know) because in the short time I've been here, my knowledge is more than hers!!

LOL, telling me it's unethical to try to get a CL w/out a hard. WHATEVER!!!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

3 "HARDS" FOR JC PENNEY???
    ...and JC PENNEYS doesn't have $5,000 credit limits, usually!!!

I usually get one hard per card...EXCEPT CAPITAL ONE!!!

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Yep just like beating a crook by sending him to jail.

LB 59

4. smogtek

smogtek Well-Known Member

I heard that JCP customer service center (I don't know if it's credit or not) is located in INDIA!

Did you speak with someone there or here in the States?

I only want 1 department store card and JCP is my personal preference.

I'm getting pretty close to clean and it's tough to wait it out .

5. Jenasea9

Jenasea9 Well-Known Member

Sorry to jump the thread....

What is the next step when JCPenny verified with 2 of the CRAs in under 30 days after I sent them a validation letter, plus they have not responded to me at all. This was validation for a R9 charge-off that I KNOW was not charged off when they said. I know the date they show charged off was the first month I pulled my reports for my mortgage and they showed a $5 late for over 1 1/2 so my broker spoke with them to remove...so what now a charge off for $5 WTH??!!!!!!!!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MCCBG~~~Yes I have been told that before...INDIA.

I think they take the "DAY" over-flow...and all the "NIGHT" calls...

7. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Yup. GE outsources their call center to India. Not sure about the exact times, but the last three calls I've made re: various Monogram cards, have all been in India.

I'm not against it - but some of the reps have REALLY thick accents.

Amex does it too (very surprising!)

-mj

8. tracyb0313

That's very interesting. I was wondering if I just got the same guy the 3 times that I called. I couldn't understand much of what he said. Too funny!!

Jenasea, JC Penney doesn't have to validate, because they are the OC, only the Ca's are required to validate!

9. MandyB

MandyB Well-Known Member

When I called about my Montgomery Ward acct, I thought the same thing. --That I was getting the same person on the phone. So I hung up again and again. Finally I asked and yep, they service a lot of their calls out of India. Hard to understand some of the reps and w/ them not being to familiar w/ MW, it was hard to make my point that the store is out of business so the status of my acct was clearly wrong.

10. Jenasea9

My bad....I thought the MBGA part was a CA and not the OC...

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

==========================
    But do they have to prove it??????????
    LB 59

12. jrjr35

jrjr35 Well-Known Member

13. Jenasea9

Question is just how can you make them prove it (I KNOW it is wrong) when they just ignore you in the first place and treat me rude telling me it IS reporting correctly you deatbeat. :)

14. SLOYAROLE

SLOYAROLE Well-Known Member

TRACY...DID YOU EVER GET THE INCREASE?

15. tracyb0313

yup, and the woman I spoke to told me that they NEVER pull a hard for a CL increase, because they do an AR every month, and they have all the information that they need. Geez, if they only told me that in the first place! LOL

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SEARS pulled a "HARD" and DENIED me a limit increase...
    They do "AR" just about every single month!!!

17. tracyb0313

what's the point of doing an AR if they still have to pull a hard?? I'll never know!!!

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

So they can WATCH your score DROP and can charge HIGHER INTEREST RATES!!!

19. SLOYAROLE

SLOYAROLE Well-Known Member

CONGRATS.
    REASON I ASKED IS BECAUSE I HAVE AN JCP CARD THAT I HAVENT USED SINCE '99. MEASILY $200 LIMIT. JUST AS YOU STATED, THEY HAVE BEEN DOING AN AR EVERY MONTH. ODDLY, ONLY ON EXPERIAN. I'D LIKE TO ASK FOR AN CL INCREASE JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT. IF THEY'RE PULLING HARDS, I'M NOT DOING IT.

20. tracyb0313

well, they didn't pull one for me. Hopefully that's their practice. Though, if you ask, nobody will be able to tell you either way. Good luck. They raised me from $500 to $1000, which is fine w/ me.