2 legal questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tandtsmom, Oct 10, 2002.

1. tandtsmom

tandtsmom New Member

Hello, i am a newbie. I still have a lot of reading and educating myself to do before I begin my credit repair journey, but I have 2 questions for people other than myself

1. My friend has a cc acct in collection. The collection agent called her mother's house (she used to live there). He mom told the guy she no longer lived there. The guy then told her mom everything about the account he was trying to collect, including the amount she owed. I know this is not legal, but what can she do?

2. My mom bought a car. While she was still paying on it, she moved from State A to State B. On her way out of town, she dropped off a payment. It is now appearing on her credit report as a charge-off from the day after she left town. She had not been late on any payments and continued to make her payments for a few months after she moved till she realized that was on her credit report. They charged it off while she was still making payments. They had her new contact info from day 1. She has her cancelled checks to prove it. Any suggestions?

2. Burbs Guy

Burbs Guy Well-Known Member

1 - She can't do much since it was an unrecorded phone call. Sounds like she needs to demand validation from the CA and demand they only contact Her, in writing. They shouldn't call her mother anymore after that. Then she has to tackle the CA issue on her own.

2 - Does your Mom still have the car? I would dispute the listing with the CRA right away. Then contact the finance company, tell them there's an obvious mistake and they need to make an immediate correction. It sounds like it may have been an honest clerical error but it needs quick resolution. If they give her any grief, she can mention the fact that they're making obvious FCRA violations. Good luck !!

3. tandtsmom

tandtsmom New Member

Thanks for the reply. My friend has written a letter asking the CA to contact her in writing, but she did not send it CRRR.

My mom does not have the car anymore. The dealership refused to release the title to her since they charged it off so she could not register it in State B. It became completely worthless to her, she couldn't drive it or sell it.