Check out this Crazy Letter

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Steven, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I need some help or advice here. I filed chapter 7 five yrs ago and sent in some disputes on 12/12 to all 3 bureaus. I had a number of accts that were discharged but not stating that in my reports. They didn't have any "incl in bk" notations on them and just said they were charged off, etc... So, I decided to just try and get them deleted entirely. I disputed them as "not mine." Yesterday, I received the following letter from one of the discharged creditors (credit card) that I had disputed as "not mine.":

--------
    Dear Steve:

As a leader in the credit card industry, we are committed to providing innovative products and superior customer service. We received your dispute from the credit reporting agencies, regarding the information reported for the above-referenced account.

After researching your dispute, including a review of our records related to the account, we were unable to clearly determine your responsibility for the account. Therefore, we informed the credit reporting agencies that the account should be reported as disputed on your credit file pending a further investigation.

If you wish to continue to dispute the reporting of this account, we will be pleased to assist you. To do this, we ask that you send a signed copy of the enclosed affidavit to the following address:

Customer Security Operations
    P.O. Box 4444
    blah, blah, blah

Once the information has been received, someone from our Fraud Department will contact you to further investigate your claim.

If you have any questions or if we can help in any other way, please call us at the toll-free number listed above. We're here 24 hours a day for your convenience.

Sincerely,
    John Doe
    Credit Bureau Analyst
    Consumer Dispute Verifications
    ---------

And here's the Affidavit:
    ---------

AFFIDAVIT OF FACT

FRAUDULENT CREDIT APPLICATION

This affidavit concerns credit card account number: blah, blah

I,__________________ have never applied for a credit card with blah, blah Bank, nor have I relinquished any personal information about my residency, employment, or income, for the purpose of obtaining credit with blah, blah Bank.

I certify that I have not given anyone permission to apply for such an account, and further certify that I have not benefited in any way from this fraudulent application.

This affidavit of fact is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

_______________________ _____________________
    Telephone (Home) Telephone (Business)

I have reason to believe the following individual(s) is (are) responsible and/or utilizing the credit card account described above.

___________________ ________________
    Name Phone

--------------

This looks like a set up to me. No way am I going to fill out this affidavit and send it to them. Also, why would I want to help them out any? I just viewed my Experian report monitor and the creditor item now shows: "This item was verified and updated on 1-2003" It shows "Account charged off/Past due 180 days" with a balance.

My question is how can Experian show that this item was verified??? The credit card company says that they informed the CRA's that the acct should be reported as disputed in my file pending a further investigation. But Experian isn't stating that it's disputed, they're saying that it's verified. And, if the creditor can't verify at all, how can they even tell the CRA's to report as disputed?

Does anyone have any opinions on this and have any suggestions for me as to what to do? I'd appreciate any help on this one. Thanks.

2. MaddKredit

MaddKredit Well-Known Member

I wouldn't fill it out. Also, I would dispute with Experian and request they provide you with their procedures, etc. Experian are Credit Nazi's as far as I concerned, they are the worst to deal with and would rather eat their young than delete a derog. just my opinion.

MK
    email is on...

3. dixidriftr

dixidriftr Well-Known Member

Sounds like a trap to me. The only thing I could see that an affidavit like that would be good for is to help prove the account belongs to you. I'd redispute with EX as not mine, and send a copy of that letter in with your dispute. If they ignore it, sue EX for not considerign all info submitted and maximum accuracy.

4. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Everytime I have received a fraud affadavit from a company (usually after I use the nutcase for paid collections) the account is deleted when the investigation with the CRA is complete. Have you disputed with the CRA and if so is the investigation complete. Chances are you wont have to fill it out as it will be deleted, but if you do need to fill it out I personally would and send it back. You should also ask Lizardking about this as he has a thread supporting the opinion that in fact this is not a trap and once you receive this affadavit from a company your battle is pretty much won.