NEED to get AMEX Corporate Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LD, Jan 29, 2003.

1. LD

LD Well-Known Member

I hope someone can help me out because I'm losing sleep over this one. My employer is converting to a expense report system that requires an American Express Corporate Card to be used. I had applied for one when I started in my current position (January 2001) and it wasn't approved. I'm pretty certain it was because I had both an AMEX card and an Optima card that were charged off several years back. I learned my lesson the hard way about being young, stupid and in love and letting my now ex-husband be an authorized purchaser. Well, this morning there was an AMEX Corporate Card application sitting on my desk. This piece of paper TERRIFIES me! Even though I paid off the balances of those two accounts and have established good credit over the past four years, I know HELL will probably freeze over before AMEX issued me credit again! Plus, I have a judgement and a collection account (both medical and over 2 years old) that were also because of my a**hole ex, thus lowering my credit "score" for Experian (the preferred report of AMEX Corp. Card Svc) to a measly 629. My active credit accounts are in good standing, but the balances are high. I am working to pay those down. Sorry for babbling, but I don't know what to do about this whole AMEX thing. Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.

2. OleMissReb

OleMissReb Well-Known Member

We had the same problem with my wifes job when she started. She just had to suck it up and tell them about it. She had to apply and get denied, then the company con "sponsor" you for a card meaning they just really get another card for them with your name on it. However, it does not go on your credit. The company is just basically saying if you ran off with it, they'd pay the bill

3. Nestea

Nestea Well-Known Member

If its a corporate card, shouldn't the company give you one on their account?

i dint even think they would need your SS#.

4. LD

LD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I explained the above scenario to the AMEX Program Manager and she told me to apply and if its denied we can look at some other options - whatever that means. I think the part that bothers me most is having my immediate boss have to sign the form and get involved if this thing falls through. I just sent a dispute letter to Experian regarding the medical collection account wihich is still showing a balance even though I paid it in full. Having that updated or removed should bump me up a few points, but I'm not expecting a miracle. I'm stalling as much as I can, but I'm gonna have to apply for the card soon.

5. LD

LD Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they make you fill out a short application that goes directly to AMEX. The Corporate Card Program Manager at my company is more or less a contact person for questions, etc.

6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

call amex and request to be off the blacklist. assuming that you really did pay and clear up those old debts, if its at least 1 year after.. then they will comply to remove you from the blacklist. good luck

7. OleMissReb

OleMissReb Well-Known Member

Getting denied is going to happen in this circumstance. But the quicker you apply and get the denial, the quicker you can get a company sponsored one. Everyone has gone to these Corp. Cards that are tacked to your ow history so that if you run up lots of personal charges, they can't have the big blowouts they've been having this year like with the Armed Forces and Government Cards