need to rebuild credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by AnGar, Mar 27, 2003.

1. AnGar

AnGar Member

I need to start rebuilding my credit and am wondering if I should go with one of the cards on the homepage? The cards I get in the mail want to charge you $200.00 in all kinds of fees just to issue you the card. I'd like to avoid doing that if possible. Any suggestions on what card to use or where to go?
    TIA
    Angie

2. smontoya5

smontoya5 Well-Known Member

Angie,

What are your scores on all 3 and what sort of negatives to you have?

3. AnGar

AnGar Member

Equifax: 585
    Experian: 602
    TU: was 568? but dropped to 495 after I removed two derog revolving accounts.

Tu: collection accounts
    Equifax: collection acct and charge off.
    Experian: Can't remember. don't have the report in front of me.

4. AnGar

AnGar Member

Found it! it has the same thing that Equifax has.

5. Atiyana

Atiyana Well-Known Member

when i was in a similar situation, the company that gave me a good restart was providian. they offered me a gold visa in exchange for a bank depost of $50, which is refundable if I close the account. the only bad thing was the annual fee (i think it's $25 or $50). however, i only had to pay it the first year and then they upgraded my card and removed the fee! now, my credit is established enough that i can apply for better cards (the only think i dislike is that you can't request your own line increases--they do it for you--but i like my new apr and perks).

---atiYana!

6. garosenb

garosenb Active Member

I have had good luck with First Premier. They did charge a heavier up front fee (I beleive around $100) but they are very quick to credit payments. The ability for a company to process payments qucikly is KEY when rebuilding credit. After 1 year, they have bumped the CL $100 and removed the annual fee.

7. AnGar

AnGar Member

Atiyana and garosenb
    Thank you both for responding. I will look into those. I really don't want a credit card, but my on my CR it says that one of the reasons for a low score is a lack of revolving accts.
    Thanks again.
    AnGar

8. bigmon

bigmon Well-Known Member

If you need a secured card some options are:

Bank of Louisana.. $15
    Bank America $35
    Wells Fargo $35

there are some other secured cards but these are ones I have or have heard good things about.