Chase FRAUD ALERT

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Moya, May 31, 2004.

1. Moya

Moya Well-Known Member

I logged on to my Chase account and found this message? What the Hell is this?????

FRAUD ALERT

Account activity temporarily blocked

Due to potential security issues, Chase Fraud Operations has temporarily blocked activity on your account for our mutual protection. Please call us immediately at (800) 772-9261 to discuss your account status.

A Chase Representative is available to assist you from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight EST, seven days a week.

2. KevPochop

KevPochop Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty straight forward?

3. RichC

RichC Well-Known Member

Yeah this is a wonderful new feature of some of the credit card companies. I had basically the same thing happen with a Citi card.

We booked a cruise (charged on our Citi card). Then half way through the cruise, Citi started declining our charges. What an embaressment. Being at dinner, ordering a couple of drinks and having it declined (after we had already drank them of course).

Suspicious Activity. They had left a message on my work phone stating what you said. Big help when we were 4000 miles away.

Anyway, we go to the pursers desk to clear it up, takes about a half an hour on the phone, and they thought it suspicious with the charges in the Caribbean. Duh!

I just wish they would use a little common sense, like at least cross checking a little. Or rather than declining, have some kind of notice to the charger to call them.

4. 8004me

8004me Well-Known Member

I did a large BT with them some months back and got the same fraud alert.
    Had to call in and answer a bunch or questions.
    If I am traveling out of the country or in an area that I normally dont I call ahead with a couple of cards and always carry a spare.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I think calling ahead is a good idea. A few years ago, my husband and I went to Las Vegas.

I was on a business trip and I got my husband a free ticket with miles. So the only ticket was charged to my company card. Same with hotel and rental car, so there was no activity on my card for that type of thing.

I made several purchases, and my husband had made two charges in the same day, each around $300. So we go to Coca-Cola world, try to buy $12 worth of junk, and the card is declined!

When I got back to the hotel, I called them. They just asked the security questions, then asked if both my husband and I had our cards in our possession, and lifted the restriction.

It just seems crazy that they let $600+ of charges go through, then "bounce" a lousy $12. At least I had another card, and at least I got miles for most of my purchases!

6. Moya

Moya Well-Known Member

Strange company! Don't know how long I'm going to keep this card... They won't let me talk to anyone in their Fraud dept? Don't know why... One person told me that they are most likely checking on the jump in credit increase (from $500 to $5500) and the lowering of the apr (from 10.99% to 7%)... All things that have nothing to do with me... Another rep said that it's something on my credit report? (go figure?) I don't know what it is but they said investigations are for 72 hours... Strange to me! Will keep you guys posted...

7. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Most likely it is a pattern of charges that appear (to some scoring algorithm) to possibly indicate fraud. Such as multiple separate purchases at the same store in a very short time, or charges from physically distant places in a short time with the card physically presented, or possibly large purchases beyond your normal pattern. Call them, verify your identity, and ask.

8. Moya

Moya Well-Known Member

That's the crazy thing... They won't put me through to anyone... They just say that they are working to fix the inconvenience as soon as possible. The only thing I have done with the card is:

DAY ONE

1) received card in the mail - $500.00 limit
    2) called to have credit line increase - got increase with new - $5500.00 limit
    3) forgot to ask about Apr, called back got Apr lowered from 10% to 7.99%
    4) she then said that I had such a nice voice, I'm going to put rewards on this card.

DAY TWO

1) did a balance transfer ($870.00) from capital one to my Chase
    2) made a $200.00 purchase

DAY THREE

1) Fraud Alert - card can not be used at this time
    2) called told it's standard on new accounts
    3) called back told it's probably something on my credit report (wrong number, address, etc...)

DAY FOUR

1) will be really pissed off!

9. Moya

Moya Well-Known Member

They fixed it... don't know what it is, but they fixed it...

10. moonchild

moonchild New Member

Chasing Chase...

i think this whole thing might also be a way to make contact with the customer to offer their fraud protection plan (I found this site while looking to see if it was worth it). Just enough to scare you to make you think you need it? Was anyone else offered the plan?-
    ps- the same thing happened to me "suspicious activity".

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

The post is about four years old. I doubt that many of the posters are here to answer. However, I was not offered anything like that. They just wanted to make sure the cards hadn't been stolen.

I've had it happen several times. Now I call the cc company before I go and let them know that we're going on vacation and what states we're going to be in.

12. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

No joke. I was moving from TX to FL and used my Amex to buy gas in 3 different states in one day. By State #3 I had to go into the gas station, and they put Amex on the phone with me LOL.

Hubby has a WaMu card which is earmarked for business travel. Upon activation he told them he spent 90% of his time in a foreign country and would be using the card regularly. The occasionally get a burr up their butt and block his card until he reports in to his keepers.

I like to watch them stammer when I tell them - he can't call you back because he is IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY what is your non 800 number.

13. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Duh--maybe that's why the card is used in a foreign country!!!

Nobody said CSRs were bright.