how do i get my first credit card?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by drew, Aug 5, 2004.

1. drew

drew New Member

i recently turned 18. i have no credit history and a small, nearly nonexistent income. this credit card would be used as a starting point in building my credit and not to spend money that i do not have!

how can i prove to somebody that i am honest and i can pay for what i buy when my mom is nearly bankrupt and i am not even in college? is it impossible?

please give me some advice...

thanks a lot,
    drew

2. dwarner

dwarner Active Member

i would suggest that you get a job or something so that you have some sort of income. Even if it is part time it shows employment. then i would try applying at someplace like capital one for a visa. My first card was a department store credit card at 18. I got a lerner card. i worked part time at a pizzeria. it was a start to my credit history

3. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

You might try a gasoline credit card.

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

If nothing else, get a few hundred dollars together and get a secured card. If you search the board here, you'll find that there are some that don't report as secured.

A secured card means you give them money, which goes into an account (like a savings account). Your credit limit is based on how much you put in. The bill is NOT paid from this account, it's there as a security, much as your car is security for a car loan. You can charge up to your credit limit and then you pay it off. It's best to use it, keep your balance low, and pay it off every month. This shows that you can use credit. After a year or so, you may be able to get it unsecured and get your deposit back.

Study the offer carefully before applying. Many of them have up front fees, and you end up owing almost the entire amount right away with no real credit available.

A store card or gas card may also be a good idea, but I don't think they're as easy to get as they used to be.

If you find some offers and want opinions, post the details here and we'll help you out.

5. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Can you join a credit union? Perhaps thru an employer, a school, or association membership?