Do I have a violation here?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MannyL, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MannyL

MannyL Well-Known Member

In a thread located at http://consumers.creditnet.com/Discussions/credit-talk/t-is-this-validation-67410.html I posted about a letter from LVNV Funding regarding a alleged account with Citi cards.

I wrote back to them that what I received was not validation. I recently received a letter dated Feb 3rd from NCO trying to collect on this same alleged debt. I've been lazy I'll admit it and have not done anything about their letter. This weekend I wrote up a validation request and it is going out CMRR to them.

Meanwhile for the past few days I've received a call from 515-453-2972. I've answered it but after saying hello twice and no reply I just hang up. This same number has been calling my parents line because it used to be my number.

My parents are aware if anyone calls me on that number they are to give out a new number for me. Unfortunately the person who calls them hangs up before they can give them the #.

Today I was at their house when the call came in so they gave it to me. I spoke to a man called Randy Petersen. I told him that any communication had to be through the mail because it was inconvenient for me to receive calls here. He asked if I had another number and I told him not one that was convenient to receive calls on. He told me a letter was mailed out on Saturday.

I told him I would call him after I received the letter. I then proceeded to write a validation letter and include a limited C&D stating calls to me on any number were inconvenient.

Now I'm not sure how LVNV, NCO and CBE can be collecting the same debt so I really need validation to figure out who (if any) I owe

Having said that. I received on my cell phone a call at 4:52pm from CBE's number. I answered it was it was regarding the same alleged debt. I got Adam as the caller's name. He mentioned that the OC was going to move collections up a level (but he did not mention court) I asked him what firm he worked for and he told me CBE. I then asked him about my conversation with Randy and thats when he did verify the note that it is inconvenient for me to receive calls. He claimed I was on an automatic dialer and he would have the number removed.

What I want to know is would this second call be considered harassment. They spoke to me once today and did not get a refusal to pay and now they are calling me again.

2. greg1045

greg1045 Well-Known Member

Next time a man calls you again tell him to make a date with Lorraina Bobbitt.

3. MannyL

MannyL Well-Known Member

Ok Greg, how does this answer my question?

4. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

Were any of your requests for validation timely? Were both calls from CBE?

Technically, the second call from CBE would be a violation but, it would be a dubious claim. You must allow a reasonable amount of time for such a request to filter down the channels of communication.

My hunch here is that LVNV sold the debt to NCO and CBE is collecting for them. I could be wrong. Is LVNV still on your reports?

5. MannyL

MannyL Well-Known Member

The original to LVNV was the one going to NCO will be and the one from CBE is pre-emptive because I have not received anything in writing from them just the two calls today which were the first contact I received from them.

I have to send a request in writing to get my reports because I can't do it free online now.

6. unlvgro37

unlvgro37 Well-Known Member

7. MannyL

MannyL Well-Known Member

I thought you can't dispute without a refrennce # from a current report. The only one I have a current report from is TransUnion. The TransUnion report is dated 2/5/8 and on it LVNV is listed

LVNV FUNDING LLC #<account # removed>
    Balance:* $584 * Date Updated:* 01/2008
    High Balance:* $542* Collateral:* 12 CITIBANK
    Past Due:* >$584<* Pay Status:* >Collection Account<
    Account Type:* Open Account * Responsibility:* Individual Account
    Date Opened:* 08/2007* Loan Type:*Factoring Company Account
    Remark:*>Placed for collection<
    Estimated date that this item will be removed:** 07/2012

The account I assume it referrs to is listed as

ZALE/CBSD #<Act # removed>
    Balance:* $494 * Date Updated:* 12/2007
    High Balance:* $494* Credit Limit:* $500
    Past Due:* >$309<* Pay Status:* >Charged Off as Bad Debt<
    Account Type:* Revolving Account * Responsibility:* Individual Account
    Date Opened:* 08/2005* Date Closed:* 09/2007
    Loan Type:*Charge Account Remark:*>Profit and loss writeoff<
    Estimated date that this item will be removed:** 05/2014

There is nothing on the report from NCO or CBE.

****ADDITIONAL INFO*****

When I went to dispute my ph# because they have my parents # as the home number I saw an Inquiry from CBE on this report from 2/16/08. There has not been any entries on the report by CBE. The last Inquiry from NCO was 10/17/07

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  8. MannyL

MannyL Well-Known Member

I was able to get my Equifax and Experian ones online as well. I thought I used my free yearly one but it appears I did not.

Looking at Experian there is nothing from NCO or CBE.

The only LVNV and Citi show as

LVNV FUNDING LLC Address:* Original Creditor: Citibank
    Status Details:* This account is scheduled to continue on record until May 2012.
    Date Opened: 08/2007
    Type: Installment
    Reported Since: 10/2007
    Terms: 1 Months
    Date of Status: 10/2007
    Monthly Payment:$0
    Last Reported: 02/2008
    Responsibility: Individual
    Credit Limit/Original Amount: $542
    High Balance: NA
    Recent Balance: $589 as of 02/2008
    Recent Payment: $0

ZALES/CBSD Address:*
    Status: Account charged off/Past due 150 days. $494 written off. $309 past due as of Dec 2007.
    Status Details:* This account is scheduled to continue on record until Apr 2014.
    Date Opened: 08/2005 Type: Revolving
    Reported Since: 09/2005 Terms: NA
    Date of Status: 12/2007 Monthly Payment: $0
    Last Reported: 12/2007 Responsibility: Individual
    Credit Limit/Original Amount: $500
    High Balance: $494
    Recent Balance: $494 as of 12/2007
    Recent Payment: $0

Equifax does not show anything from NCO, CBE or Citi/Zales just the LVNV entry listed as

LVNV FUNDING LLCPO Box 10584
    Greenville, SC-296030584
    (866) 464-1183

Account Number: 512068002533XXXX Current Status:
    Account Owner: Individual Account. High Credit: $542
    Type of Account : Open Credit Limit: $0
    Term Duration: Terms Frequency:
    Date Opened: N/A Balance: $589
    Date Reported: 02/2008 Amount Past Due: $589
    Date of Last Payment: Actual Payment Amount: $0
    Scheduled Payment Amount: $0 Date of Last Activity: N/A
    Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 10/2007 Months Reviewed: 4
    Creditor Classification: Financial Activity Description: N/A
    Charge Off Amount: $0 Deferred Payment Start Date:
    Balloon Payment Amount: $0 Balloon Payment Date:
    Date Closed: Type of Loan: Factoring Company Account (debt purchaser)
    Date of First Delinquency: 08/2005
    Comments: Consumer disputes this account information,
    Collection account

Now I never disputed this account with Equifax so where did the disputed information come from and why is it not on the other reports?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  9. unlvgro37

unlvgro37 Well-Known Member

you can dsipute via Equifax without a confirmation # online for sure.