A valid defense?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by peeper, Jan 24, 2010.

1. peeper

peeper Well-Known Member

In order to win a lawsuit the plaintiff must prove that the plaintiff was harmed by the defendants actions or lack of action.
    Most debt collectors are 3rd party to a lawsuit.
    So how has the plaintiff been harmed by the defendants action or lack thereof ?
    Did the defendants action or lack of action force the plaintiff to purchase the defendants bad debt?
    If plaintiff purchased a 5,000.00 debt for 200.00 was the defendant given the opportunity to settle the debt for the same amount that the plaintiff purchased said debt?
    What is the monetary amount that the plaintiff was harmed by defendants action or lack thereof?

2. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

That's interesting, but I would assume that the "damage" was "the alleged debtor failed to pay as promised". In other words, lost income. The fact that you've never had a direct relationship with the collector would be irrelevant if your original terms allow for the account to be transferred to a third party, or if the collector is a lawyer hired by the original creditor.

3. peeper

peeper Well-Known Member

The question is how much monetary damage did the defendant cost the 3rd party plaintiff by defendants actions or lack thereof if the 3rd party plaintiff only paid 200.00 for a 5,000 debt?
    The reason for a lawsuit is to undo the damage caused to the 3rd party plaintiff by the defendant.Awarding the plaintiff a 5,000 plus interest judgment on a 200.00 purchase does not seem legally correct.Even if the defendant allowed all rights to the account transfer to the plaintiff, the judgment should be for the actual cost to the plaintiff for the transfer plus reasonable legal cost.How can the 3rd party plaintiff claim they were damaged in the amount of 5,000 plus interest on a 200.00 business transaction?
    Most debt collectors are 3rd party plaintiffs.If the original creditor has written off the loan they are no longer involved.Most summons/complaints show the plaintiff as being a 3rd party collection agency who hire some low life attorney to represent them.
    If the defendant loses he does not pay back Bank of America with a check but rather Joe Blow LLC. or Joe Blow LLC.'s attorney.
    In reality the defendant is paying back a loan to someone who never issued them a loan in the first place.

4. billbauer

billbauer Well-Known Member

The problem is that nobody plays by the rules of logic. What you have said is plain and simple logic that things should be fair and square and such huge profits should not be allowed. Such profits outrage the common man but the judges and the plaintiffs think it is perfectly acceptable. Needless to say, the opinion of the common man means little or nothing to those kinds of people.

Statistics prove that in local courts the plaintiffs win better than 99 percent of the time. We might wonder why the odds are so heavily stacked against the defendants but the reasons are simple. Most defendants never even respond or go to court. Most seem to think that there is no reason to bother with it since they are going to lose no matter what they do. They might not think about it that way however. Their thinking is probably more along the lines that they know they have no defense and can't afford a lawyer so there is no sense of going just to take a beating. They don't think about how many others have lost. They only think that there is no possible defense so why bother..

5. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

I look at it this way: Let's assume that you owe Capital One $5000 in delinquent credit card debt from a few years ago. Let's also assume that with interest, this amount is now $7500. And for the sake of example, let's assume that the debt is valid, the amount is 100% correct, the matter is well within your the statute of limitations for litigation, and the original cardholder agreement gave them permission to transfer the debt to a third party for collection. Now let's say Scamtastic Debt Collectors Inc ("SDCI") buys the debt from Capital One for $750. SDCI believes they're getting a $7500 asset; as per your cardholder agreement, you agreed to pay this amount and agreed to allow this amount to be assigned to a third party. You, being an educated debtor, send SDCI a check for $750 and a letter stating that this is all you'll pay. SDCI has now been harmed to the tune of $6750, and they'll likely take you to court over it. Why? Because as per your contract, you were obligated to pay $7500 -- not $750 -- and this was the pretense under which SDCI purchased the debt. Let me put it another way. Let's say you go into Wal-Mart and steal a laptop with a price tag of $999. The laptop only cost Wal-Mart $300 wholesale, but they're going to come after you for the entire retail value of the unit plus their associated costs of handling you. Why? Because you denied them the $699 profit they could have gotten had you legitimately purchased the laptop (or left for someone else to purchase). I'm not saying you're wrong. You have an interesting approach. I just don't agree with it. Perhaps someone with more experience in this area will prove me wrong, but I think this falls under the old "if you owe it, pay it" chant. (sorry; my formatting is getting destroyed on my posts lately, I don't know why)

6. peeper

peeper Well-Known Member

Sometimes a 3rd party debt collector sells their account to another debt collector and that debt collector sells it to yet another one.
    Also the original creditor after writing off the bad loan gets a tax credit for the amount lost.
    When a 3rd party debt collector tries to collect the original amount of the debt they are double dipping.The original creditor gets a 5,000 tax credit and then the 3rd party collector gets a 5,000 judgment.That does not seem legal.
    As far as your Wal Mart example what if Wal Mart sold that account to Joe Blow LLC. for 50.00?Should Joe Blow be allowed to get 999.00 even after Wal Mart has gotten a 999.00 tax credit for their loss?
    However your Wal Mart example would be a criminal court action not a civil court one.

7. billbauer

billbauer Well-Known Member

Yes, but as soon as one finds out that a new debt collector has taken over the old one should be taken to federal court for any violations they may have committed.

The problem that most who are relatively unfamiliar with FDCPA and all the possible violations that a debt collector might commit have is getting a good grasp on FDCPA and how the courts have ruled. We can go to meetings and seminars where great researchers such as Dan Meador (dceased) or Pat Patton (deceased) and multitudes of others have (had) to say but the only thing that counts is what the latest decision by the highest court of competent jurisdiction in your circuit has ruled. For example, I am in the 10th circuit. A ruling on some matter by a court in the 10th Circuit is compellng law. Judges in the 10t have no alternative but to rule in the same way as a higher court in the 10th has ruled. Courts are not bound to rule in the same way that a court in the 9th or the 11th might have ruled. They can and often will take decisions by other courts in other jurisdictions under advisement but are not bound to rule in the same way even though the cases are similar.

Competent attorneys almost never cite cases outside their immediate circuits. Pro Se litigants should always pay attention to and do what good attorneys do

Quoting some case decided in 1633, 1733, 1833, 1933 are of little value in most cases. They may amuse or even enlighten the court somehow but they carry no weight at all.

When doing research one should always use the annotated statutes rather than just statutory law in order to see how the courts have ruled. That's why I like to use a site known as fdcpaexperts~com because it is all properly annotated. If I go to the law library I want to see the annotated statutes and not just the regular law books. I can and quite often also Shepardize those cases to ascertain how attorneys have used the case cites in their cases and to see how similar their case have been to the one I happen to be working on at the time.

Never believe what someone says the law says no matter how much you might respect them. Use what they say. Research what your friend or highly respected guru has said to be sure that they know what they are talking about.

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

If a creditor writes off an account, they don't get a "tax credit." They write that amount off as an asset on their books. It is treated as a bad debt, so it does decrease their assets.

However, if they subsequently collect on that debt, they are required to reverse that transaction, and they "write back on" the amount that they've collected. In other words, they increase their cash and therefore their assets by that amount. So any tax implications (which would only be in earnings) are therefore reversed.

9. peeper

peeper Well-Known Member

So if a bad debt is subtracted from their assets then their tax rate is lowered.What percent of bad credit card loans are ever paid back to the original creditor?Most debt collectors do not work for the original creditor.They are a separate business entity.They will use every trick in the book to collect money they never lent our but purchased for pennies on the dollar.What person says dad when i grow up i want to be a debt collector?They should be outlawed.If the original creditor does not want to take the legal steps needed to collect the bad debt themselves they should get out of the credit card business.

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how many current accounts are sold (factored) so that the company can get cash. They get a percentage of the value and the factor collects the entire amount. It's a common business practice.

What the OC got, what tax treatment they did or didn't get, and who they assigned or sold it to has nothing to do with how much money you owe. There is absolutely no relationship. The creditor has a right to sell or assign, and the debt remains valid.

11. peeper

peeper Well-Known Member

If the debt remains valid why do debt collectors try to settle for far less than what the actual debtors so called valid debt is?

12. CTF388

CTF388 Well-Known Member

Because of the time cost of money.

How long will it take and how much will it cost to collect the full amount?

The JDP has purchased the note at a steep discount -- pennies on the dollar, -- he can afford to take a lesser amount to cover his cost and still make a tidy profit.

A JDB buys for thousands of dollars, a portfolio of debts worth millions. He works the portfolio to collect what he can with reasonable effort, then packages and resells the remainder on to another JDB.

It's a business, and if he has good collectors that can generate cash, he makes money, and it is all about maintaining a flow of productive accounts.

Money is what it is all about.

13. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

CTF is spot on and it is a hell of a business model. Ethical, who is to say? However, it is legal and it is a consumers obligation to take enough initiative to arm themselves with viable defenses.