Need help fixing credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nkechi, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Nkechi

Nkechi New Member

Back in college I used and abused credit cards and am now paying for my bad credit. I have paid off accounts that were delinquent and charged off, but did not know at the time that I could request them to be deleted. Now all of the accounts are paid off, but the negative remarks really damage my credit score. I am trying to buy a new home within the next year and really need some help in clearing up my credit. I have a new credit card to help improve my score, but need to know if there's anything I can do to get the negative remarks removed. Please help??

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

The old charge offs and collections that you've already paid off will be difficult to do much about at this point. Depending upon how old they are, they might not be affecting your FICO scores all that much, and time will of course only makes things better. However, you can always try disputing inaccurate or missing information regarding the negative marks through the CRAs, and you never know- some might get deleted. It happens all the time.

It's great that you have a new credit card and you're using that to rebuild positive payment history. That will of course be a huge boost to your credit scores as well.

3. SHANAE

SHANAE New Member

Reply:Did you try to go to a bank and borrow money? You could use many things as calateral for a loan from a bank. Once you get the loan you could pay it back in small sums-- but beware that this process takes a while-- also make sure you only have 1 credit card-- more than 1 credit card lowers your credit score.

4. SHANAE

SHANAE New Member

Did you try to go to a bank and borrow money? You could use many things as calateral for a loan from a bank. Once you get the loan you could pay it back in small sums-- but beware that this process takes a while-- also make sure you only have 1 credit card -- more than 1 credit card lowers your credit score

5. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

That's incorrect. Having more than 1 credit card will not lower your credit score. What's important is your credit utilization ratio- not necessarily how many credit cards you have.

6. marley73

marley73 New Member

You can dispute items yourself or use a service...I've had experience with Lexington and CreditAgenda.
    My credit score improved more in 6 months with creditagenda...give them a try.
    The guy I worked with was Tim...super guys to work with...they can help rebuild good credit as well...
    creditagenda.com
    Marley

7. JMason

JMason Well-Known Member

You can increase your scores yourself. Joshua was correct in stating that the most important item is your credit utilization ratio, but also paying consistently on time (of course) If you do both of these things, within 6 months this can increase your scores by 100+ points.

You can do this!